(from the August/September 2010 Maine Townsman)

Farmington Police Chief Richard Caton III died peacefully of complications of leukemia July 18 at the age of 52. Chief Caton would have celebrated 30 years of public service with the Town of Farmington on Aug. 25. Hundreds of people attended his funeral, including law enforcement officials from throughout the state. The funeral included an honorary police service for the beloved chief, who was remembered as a man of generous heart and character. Caton started his police career in 1975 and was hired as a Farmington patrolman in 1980.

Rumford librarian Karl Aromaa retired in late July after nearly three decades. Aromaa, 62, said he wanted to pursue different challenges. He said he would miss the young readers the most.

Scarborough Councilor Shawn Babine resigned in early August, citing education-related efforts that consumed too much time to allow him to focus on town issues.

Former Lebanon Town Clerk Sallie Chandler has been reappointed to the Maine Human Rights Commission. Chandler, a businesswoman, also serves as a York County commissioner. She was first appointed to the rights board in 2007.

Chelsea Town Clerk Tammy Cunningham has resigned after six months, making her the sixth municipal staff member to leave their jobs in less than a year. Cunningham gave no reason for her departure.

Nadeen Daniels has resigned after eight years as Cumberland town clerk. Her deputy, Tamara O’Donnell, is expected to be named new clerk sometime in August. Daniels is the 2009 winner of the Lorraine M. Fleury Award, an annual state recognition of someone who contributed significantly to the election process. In 2008, Daniels supervised a general election that attracted an 83 percent voter turnout, in part by employing the state’s first mobile polling place to boost balloting. She also is a former president of the Maine Town and City Clerks’ Association and the Cumberland County Municipal Clerks’ Association. Daniels said she wanted to find a different challenge.

Michelle Dumoulin has been hired as the Town of Sangerville’s first town manager, effective on June 21. Dumoulin is a former Corinna town clerk.

Bangor Police Officer Dan Herrick landed his small plane on July 21 in his 132nd trip as a pilot for the Angel Flight program that flies sick children to treatment centers at the pilot’s expense. Herrick transported an 11-year-old girl from the rural Aroostook County town of Woodland outside of Caribou to Bangor for treatment for a bone deformity.

Waterville City Councilor Thomas Longstaff has been nominated to run for the District 77 Maine House seat. He is unsure whether he would continue his council work should he win the election. He is serving his second term.

Mount Desert selectmen named Durlin Lunt as the town’s manager, moving him up to permanent status after he took on the job of acting manager following the resignation of Michael MacDonald in the spring. Lunt’s first contract is for one year.

Former Portland Mayor William MacVane died on Aug. 1 at the age of 95. MacVane, a longtime surgeon, served on the city council for nine years. He was the city’s oldest living mayor.

Yarmouth councilors hired Dawn Madden as the town’s finance director, effective in August. She replaces Maura Halkiotis, who resigned after nine years to pursue other interests. Madden bested 21 other applicants for the job, with her first priority being to merge certain municipal and school functions, with the blessing of both town and school officials.

Freeport Town Council Chairman Bill Muldoon will not seek re-election in the fall. He and his wife plan to move to nearby Harpswell.

Northport selectmen promoted Barbara O’Leary to administrator, effective July 1. O’Leary will remain the town clerk and treasurer for the time being.

Roberta Orsini has been named acting South Berwick manager, replacing Town Manager John Schempf, who resigned in July for medical reasons. Orsini, the town’s assistant manager, accepted the temporary post for the second time in two years.

Scores of friends and municipal and county officials attended a retirement party on July 11 for Ron Pendleton, who has worked for the Bristol Fire Department, including a stint as chief, since 1954. Although Pendleton resigned as chief in 2009 after 10 years.