The Town of Kittery has an opening for a Deputy Treasurer/Tax Collector/Bookkeeper. This union position has office hours from 7:30am to 6:00pm, Monday through Thursday. The pay rate for this non-exempt position is $28.18 per hour, however up to eight (8) years of prior experience may be applied to pay, longevity and vacation earned, equivalent to up to a 4% increase in base rate and 15 days of vacation. This position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability and retirement benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Customer Service to the Public
- Respond to phone calls, emails from residents, attorneys, banking, real estate & title companies regarding delinquencies, closings etc.
- Prepare past due, paid tax and similar reports for closings and general requests and/or research
- Respond to in-person requests regarding property tax matters
- Daily and Monthly Receipting, Posting, Reconciliation of Cash
- Kittery Community Center and Department of Public Works
- Checks and lockbox processing
- ACH processing
- Confirming all Harbor Master receipts
- NSF processing and maintenance
- Monthly reconciliations including banking
- Daily and monthly journal entries into MUNIS Financial Software
- Annual Lien Notice Preparations
- Annual pre-30-day and 30-day lien notice preparation and mailings
- Lien processing and recording; discharge preparation, mailing, recording and filing
- Sewer assessment discharge
- Annual development of “keep” records and final billing
- Prepare abatements and supplemental billings
- Prepare 45 and 30-day foreclosure notices and mailing
- Miscellaneous Tasks and Collaborations
- Daily collaboration with the Assessors Department, re: tax records, address changes, mobile homes etc.
- Journal entries for Fort Foster deposits (May-September)
- Monitor Harbor Master financial payments
- InforME online permitting and bank reconciliation (monthly)
- ViewPoint support (online permitting)
- Research tax records and deed preparation as needed
- Provide A/P and Sewer back-up support as needed at the direction of supervision
Essential Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration or public policy, and preferably five years of progressively increasing responsibility in municipal finance or other comparable combination of education and experience
- Ability to be bonded at town expense and remain bonded while employed by the Town of Kittery
- Knowledge of MUNIS accounting system preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel preferred
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with employees, vendors, departments and elected officials
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgement, to set priorities and complete efforts independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully and with respect for the rights of others
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to determine proper course of action
- Ability to utilize and interpret mathematical formulas including percentages, computing discount, interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion; and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: computer, keyboard, printer, calculator, telephone, copy/scanner/facsimile machines, postage machine and shredder
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects and materials up to 50 pounds
- Must be physically capable of reaching to obtain and move various books, printouts, file boxes, computer paper, etc.
- Must be able to communicate through speech and in writing
- Work is normally performed in an office environment; must be able to sit for long periods of time
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds