The Town of Kittery is hiring a seasonal employee to serve as Assistant Harbormaster. This position reports to the Harbormaster. Seasonal employment will be from May to September, for 25-30 hours per week. Standard working hours will be between 7am and 5pm, but may include occasional evenings, weekends and holidays. The schedule will vary depending on weather and need. The rate of pay for the position is $19.00 to $20.00 per hour, depending on experience.
The purpose of this position is to assist in the day-to-day activities of the Town-owned marine facilities, and to patrol Kittery jurisdictional waters. Duties include but are not limited to: collect various fees; ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local ordinances applicable to the harbor, ensure compliance with Kittery Port Authority rules and regulations; permit moorings, prepare and submit reports; maintain various databases and webpages; and performance of additional tasks as directed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Monitor activities in all Kittery jurisdictional waters
- Provide effective communication and interaction with boaters and other users of the waterfront facilities; seek resolutions of harbor-related conflicts
- Enforce all federal and state laws, local ordinances, and Kittery Port Authority rules and regulations; take appropriate enforcement action when necessary; provide communication with public regarding rules and regulations
- Prepare and submit written materials, including receipt reports and incident reports
- Maintain working relationships with contractors, vendors and regulatory agencies
- Collect fees and issue permits; utilize and update municipal mooring records
- Ensure that all moored or docked vessels in the Kittery jurisdictional waters are properly registered or documented, have paid required excise tax and applicable fees, and are compliant with rules and regulations
- Perform periodic inspections of the mooring fields and all harbor facilities
- Investigate and attempt to resolve problems and complaints, respond to requests for assistance from the Harbormaster and Dock Attendant
- Oversee contingency measures required to secure all town-owned waterfront property in the event of anticipated severe weather conditions
- Assist in the maintenance, repair and winterization of Harbormaster vessels and equipment, town piers and floats
- Performs Harbormaster duties in the absence of the Harbormaster
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Completion of 3-day Harbormaster Certification course within one calendar year from date of hire
- Proficient in all aspects of boat handling
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, officials, co-workers and the public
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete
- Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully and with respect for the rights of others
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to determine proper course of action
- Ability to use computers effectively for general office work, including Microsoft Office Suite, internet research and e-mail
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Possess basic first aid and CPR certification
- Must possess appropriate driver’s license
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines, equipment and vehicles, including but not limited to boats, skiffs, dinghies, computers, marine electronics, telephone and standard office equipment
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects or materials
- Must be able to communicate through speech and in writing
- Must be physically capable of lifting 75 pounds
- Must be physically able to operate and/or be crew on a vessel in varied weather and sea conditions
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds