The Town of Kittery is hiring a seasonal employee to serve as Dock Attendant. This position reports to the Harbormaster. Seasonal employment will be from June to September, for 15-20 hours per week. Standard working hours will be between 7am and 5pm, but may include occasional evening, weekends and holidays. The schedule will vary depending on weather and need. The rate of pay for the position is $13.00 to $13.75 per hour, depending on experience.
The purpose of this position is to assist in the day-to-day activities of the Town-owned marine facilities. Duties include but are not limited to: collect various fees; ensure compliance with Kittery Port Authority rules and regulations; permit moorings, prepare and submit reports; and performance of additional tasks as directed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Monitor activities at Kittery waterfront facilities
- Provide effective communication and interaction with boaters and other users of the waterfront facilities; seek resolutions of harbor-related conflicts
- Enforce Kittery Port Authority rules and regulations and Kittery parking ordinances at waterfront facilities
- Prepare and submit administrative written materials, including receipt reports and incident reports
- Collect fees and issue permits; utilize and update municipal mooring records
- Maintain working relationships with contractors, vendors and regulatory agencies
- Document complaints, contact appropriate persons or agencies for assistance with resolution of conflicts
- Assist with securing town-owned waterfront property in the event of anticipated severe weather conditions
- Maintain and clean waterfront facilities, assist in the minor repair of town-owned vessels and facilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, officials, co-workers and the public
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete
- Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully and with respect for the rights of others
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to determine proper course of action
- Ability to use computers effectively for general office work, including Microsoft Office Suite, internet research and e-mail
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Possess basic first aid knowledge
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines, equipment and vehicles, including but not limited to boats, skiffs, dinghies, computers, marine electronics, telephone and standard office equipment
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects or materials
- Must be able to communicate through speech and in writing
- Must be physically capable of lifting 75 pounds
- Must be physically able to operate and/or be crew on a vessel in varied weather and sea conditions
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff.
We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds