Laborer/ Truck Driver
Public Works Foreman
Range of Pay
Commensurate with Experience
Public Works laborer/ truck driver is responsible for performing a variety of arduous manual labor tasks such as bending, climbing, lifting, pushing and pulling of heavy objects in the construction, and/or maintenance of roadways and Town property. This position is exposed to the elements of Nature all year long. This is a laborer’s position and is physically demanding.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position performs a variety of manual semi-skilled tasks associated with the maintenance and repair of Town streets, which requires the ability to operate equipment, small and large trucks, and to work effectively with other crew members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to work long hours as necessary to meet weather related issues. Winter storm work will involve long hours under severe weather conditions.
- Patch and repair pot holes, sweep dirt from pavement base, assist with the laying of asphalt, smooth surfaces by hand or by using portable equipment.
- Cleans storm drains, grates and ditches of obstruction, using hand tools, pumps or small mechanical support.
- Sweep curb gutters and streets by hand or with power equipment. Load debris into specified containers, clean gutters, dig out snow and ice formed in gutters and load material into trucks.
- Operate small trucks and equipment up to 26,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight to perform a variety of tasks.
- Erect and dismantle barricades, signs and cones.
- Work with other crew members to perform work tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Learn and follow department policies and procedures governing work performed.
- Learn the operation of other department equipment on a training basis, as time permits.
- Identify opportunity to improve service to the public, explain projects to the public and answer questions about Town related issues in a pleasant and tactful manner.
- Suggest opportunities to improve Town services in performing work tasks.
- Flag traffic upon certification.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Clean driving record
Class A or B licensing
Safety training is required
All qualifications must comply with provincial human rights legislation.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Desired Qualifications: Class B Operators License
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Other Characteristics: Must be personable and interact appropriately with all Municipal employees and Residents of Berwick.
CDL Class A or B license and submit to random drug testing
Tools & Equipment
Various hand tools
Operation of loader, backhoe, and dump trucks
Leaf blowers, lawn mowers
Chainsaw, pavement saw
Will be subject to inclement weather such as rain, sleet, ice and snow at all times of the year.
Must be able to lift 75 lbs. or more. This position requires long periods of standing and or sitting.
This position reports directly to the Public Works Foreman
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds