Town of Windham
Position Title: Deputy Town Clerk / Deputy Registrar of Voters
Department: Town Clerk’s Office
Reports to: Town Clerk
Classification: Non-Exempt 8 [$19.272 - $22.581/hour]
No. of Openings: 1 – 24-hour Part-Time Position
This is a responsible administrative and clerical position that provides support to the Office of the Town Clerk in maintaining the official records of the Town; serving as secretary to the Town Council in the Clerk’s absence; assisting with elections; and performing other duties in support of the Office of the Town Clerk. Responsibilities include dealing effectively with the public concerning department activities, and performing specific delegated tasks, all under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Town Clerk. Performance is evaluated based on daily observation and results.
- Assists the Town Clerk to maintain Town’s official records, including birth, death, marriage, election, Town Meeting and Town Council minutes; maintains Town’s ordinances, file reports with appropriate State agencies.
- Performs duties of Notary Public and Dedimus Justice.
- Acts as secretary to the Town Council in the Town Clerk’s absence; records minutes, schedule public hearings.
- Acts as Deputy Registrar of Voters, assists with voter registration list, assist with elections, performing duties as assigned by the Town Clerk.
- Attends the biennial caucuses for all qualified parties.
- Assists with issuance of dog licenses, hunting and fishing licenses, concealed weapons permits, victualer, coin-operated machine, liquor, motion picture, pawn shop, junkyard, mobile food, home solicitation, live entertainment, mobile home, one-day catering and special amusement licenses.
- Answers phones and assist callers; makes referrals to other departments as appropriate.
- Assists the Deputy Tax Collector in collecting tax payments.
- Assists with auto, boat, ATV, and snowmobile registrations.
- Interacts with Department Heads and other employees, the Town Manager, elected officials, local and state agencies, and the general public for to provide information and service to citizens with respect to other programs and policies of the Town of Windham.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other work as may be required in support of the Office of the Clerk.
- Working knowledge of general office practices and procedures, current laws, rules and local ordinances which pertain to the Clerk’s duties;
- Familiarity and experience with MS Office, Excel, Outlook and Word programs;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; and
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and maintain working relationships with employees, department heads, public officials, and the general public.
- High school diploma; some college-level or business courses preferred;
- Two (2) or more years’ experience as a municipal Town Clerk or Assistant Town Clerk; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities needed to accomplish the essential functions of the position.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Maine driver’s license, Class C
- Certified Maine Clerk designation
- Notary Public designation
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Moderate physical effort required; normally seated or standing with freedom of movement on a regular basis; operating office equipment, and handling books and supplies. Extensive periods may be spent operating a computer and standing. Extensive use of hands and wrists in frequent repetitive motions. Regular interaction with others via face-to-face communication, telephone, email, and written correspondence. Flexibility of motion – up and down a lot assisting staff and citizens; ability to lift up to 25 pounds is required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Deadline for résumés or applications is July 24, 2019.
Please submit via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: 207.892.1910, or mail: Town of Windham, Human Resources, 8 School Road, Windham, ME 04062.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds