Lewiston Police Department has Full Time Police Officer Openings!
Are you interested in a becoming a Police Officer?
The Lewiston Police Department is accepting applicants for full time police officer openings. The Lewiston Police Department offers a competitive salary and a benefit package, which includes holiday, sick, and vacation pay in addition to health insurance. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Why the Lewiston Police Department?
Lewiston PD proactively serves the second largest city in the State of Maine, and offers several advancement and specialized assignment opportunities to its officers. Also, you’re going to be busy because we average about 42,896 calls for service a year and who really wants to sit around! These opportunities include:
- K9 handlers
- Field Training Officers
- School Resource Officers
- Evidence Collection Team
- Hazmat Technician Team
- Crisis Negotiation Team
- Polygraph Examiners
- Domestic Violence Coordinator
- Community Resource Team
- A dedicated Detective Criminal Investigative Division
Officers are also assigned to the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency (M.D.E.A.), the Maine Computer Crime Task Force, the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Joint Terrorism Task Force (F.B.I), the Drug Enforcement Administration (D.E.A.), and the Central Maine Violent Crime Task Force which is partnered with the U.S. Marshals Service and the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (A.T.F).
What is happening in Lewiston?
The City of Lewiston has been reenergized with development throughout the city like new schools, and new and diverse restaurants, businesses and arts. Throughout the year, Lewiston hosts Art Walks, the Great Falls Balloon Festival, and the Dempsey Challenge to name a few. Also, Lewiston is affordable – our average home price is $130,000 compared to Portland’s $232,000. Looking to open a new business? It costs on average $12.00 a square foot for downtown office space vs. $22.50 in Portland. Lewiston has a diverse community and is a safe place to raise your family, matter of fact our crime rate was only 22.5 in 2015. Come join our community!
Want to check us out?
The Lewiston Police Department’s “Civilian Ride A-Long Program” is an excellent way for people to learn and see firsthand what it’s like to “police the beat.” This program offers local citizens and perspective law enforcement officers an opportunity to meet our officers and to become familiar with services we offer. Visit our website and download our “Civilian Ride A-long” application.
Applicants should consider the unique opportunities the Lewiston Police Department and the City of Lewiston offers its officers their families when choosing our department.
Also, feel free to contact Officer Joseph Philippon at 513-3010 for any inquiries.
How to apply?
All applicants must be at least 20 years of age , and ARE REQUIRED to have already taken and passed the Maine Criminal Justice Academy’s Alert and Physical Fitness Tests . The Lewiston Police Department requires a passing Alert Test Score of 45 or higher.
Please visit the Maine Criminal Justice Academy’s website for the upcoming Alert and Physical Fitness Testing dates, times, and locations. The Academy’s website is http://www.maine.gov/dps/mcja/index.shtml or call 207-877-8000 for more information.
Also, when submitting an application, please provide
- Completed “City of Lewiston Job Application”
- Completed “Police Department Job Application” (found on the Lewiston Police Department’s webpage http://www.lewistonmaine.gov in the “Introduction” section under “Employment Opportunities.”)
The following documents are REQUIRED when submitting an application
(Applicants will NOT be considered without all the required documents at time of application):
- A copy of your Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship if you are naturalized or a repatriate citizen of the United States
- A certified copy of your High School Diploma or GED , your College Diploma if you are a graduate
- A copy of your Military Discharge (Form DD-214, Member 4), if you are a veteran of the Armed Forces.
- Resume and cover letter
- Copy of MCJA Alert Test Scores
- Copy of MCJA Physical Fitness Test Scores
Physical fitness test required scores to pass based on gender and age are available on the City of Lewiston website.
For a full listing of disqualifiers please read the “Police Department Job Application”, and consider the following to disqualifiers surrounding drug use and past drug experimentation;
- No Marijuana /Hashish use in the last 3 years and no excessive Marijuana/Hashish use beyond the age of 21.
- No use of any drug defined in M.R.S.A. Title 17-A. §1107, to include but not limited to Cocaine, Heroin, LSD, and non-prescribed Steroid usage in the last 3 years.
All applicants should also review the police department’s policy concerning tattoos at http://www.lewistonmaine.gov