The Town of Kittery has an opening for a Development Staff Clerk. This position will be scheduled Monday through Thursday from 7:30am to 6:00pm. The pay rate for this non-exempt union position is $19.29 per hour. This position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability and retirement benefits.
The purpose of this position is to provide administrative and professional support to the Planning and Development Department staff of the Town of Kittery. This position reports to the Director of Planning and Development. Duties include, but are not limited to: updating computer systems, assisting the public, filing and mailing, assisting the Code Enforcement Officer and the Town Planner and related Town boards and committees with administrative functions, performing word processing services, and performing additional tasks as assigned by the Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs administrative tasks such as answering phones, taking and relaying messages, making copies, faxing documents, typing documents, processing mail, typing tax bills, collecting money, and maintaining files
- Inputs data to various computer software systems
- Provide assistance to the contracted Town Assessor, per the in-force Contract for Assessing Services
- Identifies and matches up deeds and declarations, enters up-to-date information into computer, records changes of ownership on assessment cards, runs year-end reports, sketches changes on assessor’s maps and operates printers, provides customer service with up-to-date information in regard to assessments
- Utilizes various office machines and equipment in the delivery of service, such as computer, telephone, facsimile machine, adding machine, copier, typewriter and postage meter
- Reviews and receives various reports, documents and forms, property record cards, board of appeals applications, board of assessment review applications, abatement applications and exemption applications
- Receipting for permits issued and applications accepted by the Department
- Assists Code Enforcement Officer and Town Planner, as needed
- Performs other related duties as required
Essential Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or GED required, with a minimum of one year's experience as an assessing clerk, secretary, or administrative assistant; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professsional information
- Ability to interact with people (i.e., staff, general public and elected officials) beyond giving and/or receiving instructions
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: computer, typewriter, facsimile machine, copier, and telephone
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects or materials up to 50 pounds
- Must be physically capable of reaching to obtain various books, printouts, file boxes, computer paper, etc.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for sedentary or office environment work
- Work is normally performed in an office environment
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting applications until the positions are filled
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds