Opening Date: July 2, 2019
Closing Date: July 26, 2019
Job Title: Public Service Manager II - Fiscal Administrator of the Unorganized Territory
Job Class Code: MA31 Confidential
Salary: $59,654.40 - $82,035.20*
Position Number: 007000597
* Actual starting salary will depend on factors such as experience and certification (CPA).
Agency Information: Title 5 Chapter 11 §246 establishes within the Office of the State Auditor the position of Fiscal Administrator of the Unorganized Territory. The Fiscal Administrator provides information and assistance to the Maine Legislature, the Unorganized Territory taxpayers, and state and county offices that request funds or provide services in the Unorganized Territory Tax District. The Unorganized Territory in Maine encompasses approximately half the acreage of the State of Maine.
The primary duties of the Fiscal Administrator of the Unorganized Territory are as follows:
- To review, analyze and investigate the budgets and expenditures of all counties and State agencies requesting funds under Title 36, chapter 115;
- To prepare and submit, by March 1st, annually, a report of the fiscal administrator's review, analysis and investigation to the joint standing committee of the Legislature having jurisdiction over taxation, each Legislator representing a county containing unorganized territory and the office of the county commissioners of each county having unorganized territory. The report must contain sufficient detail to explain fully each agency or county request and may contain recommendations by the administrator regarding legislative or administrative action. This report must also include information relating to development districts under consideration or approved by the county commissioners under Title 30-A, section 5235 and provide details regarding costs and tax shifts resulting from or anticipated to result from the development district or proposed district;
- To publish an annual financial report, signed by the administrator, as required by Title 36, section 1608, and to make that report available to taxpayers in the unorganized territory upon request; To attend public hearings, if necessary, on county budgets relating to the unorganized territory and to attend legislative hearings on bills relating to property taxes and the funding of services in the unorganized territory; and
- The Fiscal Administrator also serves as Chair of the Commission on Municipal Deorganization. The Commission was established to assist, review, recommend, and comment on deorganization procedures as established in Title 30-A, M.R.S.A, Chapter 302.
REQUIREMENTS: To qualify a candidate must have a ten (10) year combination of education and/or relevant experience providing expertise in governmental accounting and reporting standards; budget and contract administration; and legislative or similar processes to include attending public hearings, presenting reports, and recommending changes. The background of well-qualified candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to administer funds to include budgeting and contracted services.
- Ability to prepare and present reports to the Legislature.
- Ability to justify expenditures.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws and regulations affecting the Unorganized Territory.
- Ability to draft and testify on proposed legislation affecting the Unorganized Territory.
- Ability to provide sound advice to town, county, State agency and Legislative personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are Certified Public Accountants.
Why Work for the State of Maine?
State of Maine employees have a wide variety of health benefits and wellness programs available to them. Whatever your health and wellness goals may be, we have solutions to help you meet your goal. Preventive care is covered 100%, low-cost generic medications, premium-free dental insurance for full-time employee coverage, tobacco cessation program and MUCH MORE!
Benefits Include: Health, Dental and Vision Insurance; Retirement Savings; Flexible Spending Accounts; Gym Membership Reimbursement; and Living Resources (Employee Assistance Program).
The value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement is 14.47% of salary for Bargaining Unit positions and 19.27% for Confidential Positions.
The value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $14.31 biweekly.
The value* of State-paid Health Insurance:
- Level 1: 100% State Contribution (employee pays nothing): $461.75 biweekly
- Level 2: 95% State Contribution (employee pays 5%): $438.66 biweekly
- Level 3: 90% State Contribution (employee pays 10%): $415.58 biweekly
- Level 4: 85% State Contribution (employee pays 15%): $392.49 biweekly
*The level of the actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on the employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program.
Public Sector employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. To learn if you qualify, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service#qualify.
The State of Maine also offers paid holidays, training, and the chance to make a difference in Maine with a career in public service.
For additional information about this position please email through recruiterbox, Tracy Brackett, Business Operations and Human Resources Coordinator or contact at:
(207) 624-6280 or e-mail Tracy.Brackett@maine.gov.
To apply, please complete application in recruiterbox to include current resume, cover letter, and official copies of post-secondary transcripts. If additional items are to be mailed please send them to:
Office of the State Auditor
Attn: Tracy Brackett
#66 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0066
Information provided during the application, interview, and selection process will be verified. Incomplete application(s) will be failed or returned to the applicant.
The Office of the State Auditor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds