Department: Director of Information Technology
Reports to: Town Manager
Grade: 20C ($34.20 - $37.70)
FLSA Status: Exempt (salaried)
The IT Director assists with the budgeting, purchasing, implementation, maintenance, and use of all technology related infrastructure such as: computer and network systems, email system, phone system, printers, plotter, photocopiers, GPS equipment and A/V equipment. This position is responsible for the IT infrastructure at the following locations: Town Office, Public Safety, Edythe L. Dyer Library, Lura Hoit Pool, Skehan Recreation Center, School Resource Officer computer at Hampden Academy, and the Public Works building on Canaan Road. The IT Director will develop a long-term plan for the continued improvement, implementation and use of IT infrastructure within the above-specified locations and may assist in the continued development of GIS resources and may be the liaison between the Town and any contracted cartographers and may assist in file and data transfer for the development and implementation of the GIS needs of town departments. The IT Director will work with each location to determine their needs for technology and will develop, implement, and maintain an appropriate and fiscally responsible solution within budgetary parameters.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain a long-term plan for technology systems. A long-term plan shall include ideas and timelines for the continued improvement, implementation and use of technology systems. Assist in developing a long-term plan for GIS functions used by Town staff by coordinating information with contracted GIS service provider. An operating and capital budget plan shall be an integral component of this framework.
• Establish and maintain liaisons with outside contractors and account managers for needs such as aerial photography, advanced hardware and software, installations and project implementation and communications systems.
• Act as coordinator of outside contracts for technology projects, systems and services working to ensure timely and cost-efficient delivery of contracted products.
• Assist in the development of the annual technology (IT) budget.
• Manage the recruitment, training and scheduling of staff to operate the Town’s A/V system
• Assist with the technological aspects of preparation of the Hampden Highlights newsletter
• Coordinate purchase of new hardware and software, working with the Department Head or Town Manager and manage all equipment and maintenance lease contracts. Ensure proper Town Manager execution of all contracts that bind the Town of Hampden to multi-year commitments. • Install, configure, and maintain all hardware and software, including but not limited to VOIP phone systems, mobile voice and data systems, GPS systems, law enforcement body camera systems and fleet tracking systems.
• Keep accurate records of purchase dates of all hardware and software.
• Maintain up to date licensing on all software.
• Maintain and implement servers and effective back-up systems for all Town departments.
• Establish and maintain proper security practices for all locations including but not limited to: password policies, virus and spyware protection, network and firewall implementation, and compliance with CJIS and HIPAA regulations (Public Safety, personnel records).
• Train town personnel on use of computers, phones, copiers, and other systems they need to perform their daily job tasks including use of new applications of technology and new software.
• Oversee the Town website management, including establishing a periodical review with the Town Manager of website protocols to ensure consistent site maintenance across the organization
• Oversee public access cable TV programming and content streaming of Town Council and other meetings, including periodically overseeing the production of original programming to be run on cable TV and the internet.
• Continuously improve her/his own skills by study, participation in seminars and webinars, attending conferences and training sessions, participating in continuing education classes, and contact with personnel in similar positions and other knowledgeable persons.
• Serve on town and regional committees as assigned by the Town Manager.
• Perform other work as required.
• Knowledge of municipal operations and services.
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations, specifically pertaining technology systems and services
• Knowledge of operations and management of Windows server and workstation environments.
• Knowledge of operations and management of switches, firewalls, VPN, routers, CCTV security systems, online backup systems, wired and wireless networking.
• Ability to diagnose and repair hardware and software issues.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Photoshop, Trimble GPS units and GPS Pathfinder Office software, databases, spreadsheets, and Google products and services.
• Capability to learn new software and hardware operation and management.
• Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment under varying conditions.
• Ability to solve problems, set priorities, maintain a responsible operating and capital budget, coordinate and plan work with limited supervision, maintain accurate records, and undertake writing assignments.
• Ability to communicate effectively and technically both verbally and in writing.
• Conduct self in a professional and courteous manner and establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other personnel, outside agencies, and the public.
• Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvements, placing an emphasis on customer service, safety, efficiency, quality, and productivity and the ability to operate in a Team oriented environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
• Ability to adapt work schedule to meet changing priorities and deadlines. Must also be able to work a few hours on the weekend or late evening for specific IT maintenance functions so as not to interfere with daily business transactions.
Education and Experience
• Graduation from an accredited university with an associate degree in computer science, cybersecurity, or a related field.
• Two years progressively responsible experience with IT applications.
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have and maintain a State of Maine driver’s license.
Sitting, standing, climbing stairs, typing, using a mouse, connecting, bending, filing, pulling, pushing, carrying, writing, walking, lifting and operating equipment. The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants may apply by sending a letter of interest, completed Town application and resume by the close of business on September 30th, 2019.
Please send to:
Director of Technology Information Attn: Tammy Ewing, HR Director
106 Western Avenue
Hampden, Maine 04444
Or email to email@example.com
The Town of Hampden is an Equal Opportunity Employer.