About Maine Maritime Academy
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The college is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States.
MMA is a college of engineering, management, science, and transportation with a community of approximately 950 students and 200 faculty and staff. Maine Maritime is a NCAA Division III institution that competes in the North Atlantic Conference, and is a New England Football Conference member.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions.
Maine Maritime Academy is situated on a picturesque peninsula in the Penobscot Bay, a renowned sailing destination and home to more than 200 islands.
The Academy is only 40 miles from Bangor, Maine’s third largest city and home to Bangor International Airport. It is less than 50 miles from Acadia National Park, where opportunities for outdoor exploration and adventure abound.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, sailing, skiing, snowmobiling – all right at your front door!
Maine Maritime employees enjoy competitive wages and some of the best benefits in the state of Maine, including
- health, dental, and vision insurance
- employer paid life and long-term disability insurance
- retirement plan with generous employer match
- generous paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
- tuition waiver for eligible dependents
CENTER FOR PROFESSIONAL MARINER DEVELOPMENT (CPMD)
The CPMD is a new start-up venture of the Academy, located on a satellite campus in a newly acquired facility in Bucksport, Maine. Development will occur in planned stages, phased in response to market depends and the Director will have significant responsibility for the Center’s evolution. The Center will initially offer seafarers training for maintaining their credentials or renewing or advancing their license. There are also non-maritime related courses for those looking to advance their careers. It is envisioned that over time the Center will expand its program to include a variety of simulators and training apparatus for firefighting, helicopter evacuation, open ocean survival, and dynamic positioning, etc., as well as maritime-relevant research and innovation. The building housing the Center includes, classrooms and offices, and other functional spaces that can be used for ancillary projects and entrepreneurial ventures.
The employee is responsible for the all aspects of management and development of the Center for Professional Mariner Development (CPMD). This is to include developing and offering courses associated with U.S. Coast Guard Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW). This position will work with local and national businesses as well as regulatory agencies to guide curriculum development decisions and to make recommendations as to future development of CPMD. This position will also develop contracts and equipment RFP’s in conjunction with the established purchasing program and will recommend contract awards to the Academy’s administration. Importantly, this position will oversee business development, marketing and branding to foster business relationships with civil and commercial customer bases ensuring that CPMD is competitive in the national and international maritime training, research and innovation markets. This is an exempt, full-time, benefits-eligible confidential staff appointment. Salary based upon qualifications and experience.
- Oversees staff and manages the training facility providing STCW and other maritime related safety courses.
- Directs development and incorporation of new courses.
- Develops business cases for CPMD expansion into other areas of maritime training and innovation.
- Oversees business development including marketing and branding in other relevant sectors.
- Implements and executes current site development plans for CPMD.
- Coordinates specifications for building site with Academy stakeholders.
- Works with architects and construction firms on developing requirements and writing Requests for Proposals (RFP).
- Provides recommendations on contract awarding.
- Overseas construction efforts, ensuring all aspects of the RFP are met and budgets are accurate.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties, which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and position.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
- Demonstrated success in managing P&L
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Negotiation/Conflict resolution skills.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills required; ability to interact with all levels of staff including management.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
- Strong customer service skills.
- 5 years maritime training or business development experience
- MBA or equivalent
- Computer literate including Microsoft Office software
- Knowledge of STCW, IMO, and ISO
- Knowledge of USCG marine firefighting standards
- Criminal Background check required
- Tobacco-Free workplace
- Exerting up to 30 pounds of force to move or pick-up objects
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms
- Ability to work on project site in inclement weather
- Office setting requiring use of keyboard and computer screen
- Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekends
How to Apply
Please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for application forms. Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to HR@mma.edu (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
Do Not Send Personally Identifiable Information (PII) by email.
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Maine Maritime Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with federal and/or state law that prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran status. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request. Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
MMA is unable at this time to sponsor visas. We welcome foreign nationals with valid U.S. work authorization to apply.