The Town of Kittery Community Center has openings for part-time Substitute Assistant Preschool Teachers. The rate for this position is $11.25 per hour. These positions will work with our Eyes of the World Discovery Center Nature Based classrooms during the operating hours of 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The purpose of this position is to support the Lead Teachers of children between the ages of two and five years of age, both outdoors and in the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist Teacher in the classroom
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with children, parents, and staff
- Assist the teacher in maintaining a safe, clean, learning environment and assure the wellbeing and safety of the children in the preschool program
- Follow all rules and regulations according to the State of Maine License book
- Exhibit a genuine nurturing caring attitude to all the children
- Attend employer-paid trainings, as needed
- Be enthusiastic and prepared to explore the outdoors with children on a daily basis
- Apply a fun and energetic approach to all learning activities
- Additional tasks may be assigned to meet the needs of the school
Essential Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities
- High School Diploma or GED
- Working knowledge of child development
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships professionalism with supervisors, co-workers, students, parents and community
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Love of the outdoors and nature
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, stoop, kneel and crouch
- Must be able to lift, move or carry job-related objects or materials up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to spend long periods of time standing
- There may be physical demands based on physical, emotional and cognitive needs of particular children
- Work is primarily performed outdoors in various weather and temperature extremes
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds