Equipment Operator I (Truck Driver/Laborer)
City of Westbrook, Public Services Division
Salary: $18.69/hour - $19.75/hour
Open for Recruitment Dates: Until Filled
The City of Westbrook is an active growing community with multi-generational citizens, cultures and economic development, such as Rock Row. The community has a variety of spectacular community events. Westbrook is the happening place to be! Come join our outstanding team.
The City of Westbrook is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to perform a variety of maintenance and construction tasks; operates all trucks, skid steer loaders, front end loaders, street sweepers, rollers, compactors, roadside mowers, wood chippers, snowplows and snow removal equipment, various types of light equipment and hand tools as required, riding and walk-behind mowers, trimmers, chainsaws and other tools related to forestry and ground maintenance services.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities (Illustrative only)
- Performs manual work common to the Public Services operations.
- Operates various construction vehicles and equipment.
- Performs snowplowing and snow removal operations.
- Performs asphalt applications, storm drainage, interments, foundations and various maintenance-related work.
- Makes minor repairs and adjustments to vehicles and equipment and performs necessary service work.
- Performs duties in a teaming concept, and communicates within the work team.
- Takes an active roll in safety and technical training programs.
- Attends and participates in routine team meetings.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, desire, dedication and listens.
- Committed to continuous quality service.
- Customer focused and committed to quality service.
- Places an emphasis on safety, efficiency, quality and productivity.
- Treats co-workers with courtesy and respect.
- Promotes good internal and external customer relations.
- Works harmoniously with other departments.
- May participate in specific City functions such as various festivals.
- May be required to supervise a crew of helpers.
- And other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school and a minimum of three years of experience in the field of construction or work relating to public works, ground maintenance and forestry.
- Ability to operate all types of trucks and light equipment common to public services operations.
- Ability to follow and understand oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance equipment techniques and characteristics of materials used in public works, ground maintenance and forestry projects.
- Ability to learn and apply safety standards and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public and employees.
- Ability to learn, grow, and develop.
- Must possess a valid State of Maine commercial driver’s license with clean driving record, Class B.
Moderate physical effort required involving long periods of standing/walking, climbing, bending, pushing, pulling, occasional lifting of moderately heavy objects up to 80 lbs. Must be able to operate telephone, computer, and basic construction monitoring tools. Vision and hearing adequate to perform the essential function of the job are required. Capability to operate maintenance and snowplowing equipment. Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in various types of weather conditions and temperatures. Capable of working a long duration of hours.
This opportunity offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package that includes: Health and Dental Insurance; Vacation, Sick and Holiday Time; as well as Retirement Benefits.
Interested candidates should electronically submit a resume, cover letter and references to Debbie Comeau, HR Generalist, at email@example.com. Applications can be found at http://westbrookmaine.com/DocumentCenter/View/1909/Public-Services-Application-pdf?bidId=
Resumes without an accompanying application will not be considered!
The City of Westbrook is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds