Class Title: Full-time/part time Fire Inspector
Date Posted: November 18, 2019
Salary Range: $20.00 -$24.50 *Pay rate is decided by education, certifications, and licenses*
Job Posting Closes: When Filled
Apply online: click here
Position Title: Fire Inspector
General Purpose/Summary Statement: This is a responsible support position assigned to the Fire Dept. involving skilled and technical field fire inspections
Supervision Received: Any direct supervision is received from the Fire Chief; although, considerable independent judgment is exercised in performing the daily functions of the position.
Supervision Exercised: No supervisory role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Enforce fire and life safety codes firmly, tactfully, impartially, and consistently; understand and carry out instructions or directives with a minimum of supervision; adhere to prescribed routines and practices, and provide logical and constructive suggestions or recommendations.
- Perform all Fire Inspector related duties as identified in the Town of Old Orchard Beach Code of Ordinances and Maine State Statues.
- Work with the Fire Chief or his designee to ensure life safety standards are met in all occupancies. Work in co-operation with the towns Code Enforcement Office to ensure life safety standards are met in all occupancies.
- Work with Fire Chief or his designee and State Fire Marshal’s Office to ensure fire suppression and detection systems are properly maintained in commercial and residential occupancies.
- When requested, work with the Fire Chief or his designee, Police Investigations Division and State Fire Marshal’s Office investigators to determine the origin and cause of fires within the town.
- Conducts inspections of fire protection systems and devices in buildings and structures within the town such as, but not limited to sprinklers, portable fire extinguishers, heat and smoke detectors, and other private protection devices.
- Orders corrections and remedies of hazardous conditions where they exist and follows through until disposition is satisfactory.
- Investigates and reports on complaints received from any concerned person, group, or agency on matters concerning hazardous conditions or practices.
- Prepares documents and submits electronic, oral and written reports, as required, to include, but not limited to: daily routine sheets, inspection reports and investigative reports.
- Reports violations to the Fire Chief
- Reads plans to assure that proper fire safety requirements are being incorporated into site plans, building design, renovations, and new building construction if requested by the Fire Chief.
- Assists the Code Enforcement Office in attaining technical information in the area of fire prevention.
- Other duties as assigned by the Fire Chief.
- Conduct or assist in delivery of classes regarding pertinent standards or information related to safety and inspection techniques.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience: Graduation from high school or equivalent. At least two years of experience in the field of Fire Service and/or Code Enforcement; or a combination of related experience and training preferred. Must be a familiar with Maine State Statutes, NFPA Codes, Maine Building Codes, and local Ordinances and Codes. Must possess a valid State of Maine Driver’s License. Firefighter 1 &2 /EMT preferred.
Must possess a valid State of Maine driver’s license, with a record that is acceptable to the fire chief, their designee and the insurance carrier for the Town of Old Orchard Beach
Necessary Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of fire safety and inspection techniques.
- Considerable working knowledge of National Fire Codes, Life Safety Codes, State and local fire codes, laws and ordinances.
- Extensive knowledge of fire hazards found in various occupancies; of characteristics and behavior of smoke and fire and their effects on human life; of storage and handling of combustible, flammable and explosive materials; of modern practices to guard against the occurrences of fire or minimize losses and the most current means of protection.
- Demonstrates working skills in the use of manual, mechanical and electronic tools and equipment as required to perform duties.
- Strong skills in oral and written communications.
- Assume assigned tasks or projects, work independently, effectively and efficiently with the public on routine, stressful or complex issues.
- Perform under stress and accomplish assignments within short or immediate deadlines when required.
- Ability to maintain a variety of records, organize data and prepare standard reports from records.
- Strong interpersonal skills, be objective and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with outside agencies, businesses, municipal officials, employees and the general public.
- May respond to Fire /EMS calls if needed and requested by the Fire Chief or their designee.
- At a minimum shall meet the qualifications as set forth to become an Old Orchard Beach Per-diem Firefighter.
Tools & Equipment Used
Personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet software; calculator; phone; copy machine; fax machine; tape measure; flashlights; small hand tools; personal protection equipment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met or encounter on an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or her, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires walking, standing, kneeling, bending, stooping, driving, equipment operation and depth perception.
The employee will work inside an office environment or outside in various weather conditions from heights, on uneven surfaces, with radiant energy, in dusty conditions, and may handle solvents and chemicals. The employee may be exposed to hazardous materials and hazardous environments.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 45 pounds or more.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer, in consultation or negotiation with the Exclusive Representative of the bargaining unit when applicable, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The Town of Old Orchard Beach is an equal employment opportunity employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds