Job Title: Director of Facilities Hours: M-F typically
Department: Facilities/Buildings FLSA Status: Exempt (salaried)
Reports to: County Commissioners & County Administrator Approved By: County Commissioners
Pay Scale: $25.77 - $29.03 Date: June 23, 2020
POSTING DATE: June 25, 2020 CLOSING DATE: July 9, 2020
HOW TO APPLY: Submit application, letter of interest and current resume to:
Attn: Human Relations
97 Hammond Street
Bangor, ME 04401
Applications can be found at: https://www.penobscot-county.net/employment
The Director of Facilities is responsible for the safety and maintenance of all of Penobscot County’s Facilities and ensuring that these properties are in compliance with all applicable regulations in order to provide a safe, healthy and comfortable environment for staff and the public. The incumbent is responsible for the scheduling and supervision of maintenance and repair activities, contracted and custodial services, and ensuring the physical operation and building improvements meet budgetary objectives.
• Directs, supervises and evaluates department staff; ensures staff receives training related to specific job tasks and responsibilities
• Directs, schedules, and oversees external contract work
• Schedules and supervises maintenance workers engaged in building and grounds upkeep and repair; responsible for safety and security, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and ventilation services
• Develops and monitors department budget; orders equipment and supplies and monitors inventory; makes requests for capital outlay expenditures as needed
• Responsible compliance with Federal, State and local requirements regarding County facilities; prepares and maintains records and reports as required by such agencies
• Prepares specifications for capital expenditure projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials, labor and supplies; prepared bid specifications for projects, equipment, and contracted services
• Ensures the proper storage, maintenance of storage information, and disposal of hazardous and controlled wastes in compliance with regulations and guidelines; works collaboratively with internal and external agencies
• Conducts/oversees and issues reports on the inspection of facilities, grounds, systems and equipment with regard to fire, safety, health, hazardous materials and appearance, and executes required corrective action
• Responsible for purchasing, maintenance and service records
• Performs minor repairs of building and equipment
• Drafts, implements and retains records of routine maintenance schedules and standards; ensures compliance with these standards
• Provide Commissioner’s with regular department reports and presents items for approval • Other related duties as assigned
High School Diploma is required. Five or more years of progressively more responsible experience in facilities and grounds maintenance, and construction experience at a management level is required. Experience with budgeting and procurement processes is preferred. A clear understanding of facilities management principles, functions and processes is required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required. Ability to understand and use building construction documents, communicate clearly and concisely, estimate construction costs and deadlines accurately is required. Working knowledge of commercial building systems, building codes, dayto-day building operations is required.
Work is generally performed in both an office environment and an outdoor environment, with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Incumbent may be exposed to varying degrees of temperatures, high and precarious places, moving mechanical parts, and vibrations and may occasionally be exposed to dust or fumes.
Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in the office, and moderate to loud in the field.
While performing the duties of this position, employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard. Occasional walking, standing, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder lever, and moderate lifting is required (up to 50 lbs.).
Penobscot County is an EEO Employer