The Town of Kittery Library has openings for part-time Library Substitutes at the Rice Public Library.
The pay rate for this non-exempt position is $12.00 per hour. These positions will be scheduled as needed during the operating hours of Tuesday and Friday 10:00am to 5:00pm, Wednesday and Thursday 12:00pm to 8:00pm, and Saturday 10:00am to 2:00pm.
The purpose of this position is to, under general direction from the Library Director and in accordance with applicable policy and procedures, assist and support the many services of the Rice Public Library, its patrons and staff. This individual works to foster a positive and rewarding library experience for all library visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Works at circulation desk, checking materials in and out, answers the phone and patron inquiries, and collects money from patrons for fines, photocopies, and fees
- Assists patrons with finding materials and information, including utilizing photocopiers, computers, MARVEL, Learning Express and PPL databases, and the Internet
- Participates in reader referral program and assists patrons in book selection
- Calls or emails to patrons for reserve notices
- Enters new patron registrations and updates registrations in computer
- Processes museum passes using tix-keeper
- Scans and reads shelves and reorganizes according to library’s standards
- Processes new books and audiovisual items, checks orders, and matches order slips
- Shelves books, periodicals, and audiobooks items in a timely manner in all departments of the library
- Performs materials repair for CDs and DVDs
- Assists in preparing book displays
- Works with Inter-library loan and Minerva requests including running library request lists, selecting and packing books for shipping, and unpacking boxes after receiving, and processing loans for patron pick-up
Daily Library Maintenance:
- Performs opening and closing procedures
- Starts computers and follows correct shut-down procedures at the end of the day
- Empties book drop
- Processes and distributes mail
- Transports books and other materials between buildings
- Assists in keeping bulletin boards current
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with all programming as needed
- Assists and generally oversees library volunteers as needed
- Treats all patrons with respect and patience and ensures confidentiality of patron records
- Performs other related duties as required
Essential Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities
Duties require knowledge of library systems and administrative responsibilities equivalent to a high school diploma with at least three to six months of volunteer or work-related experience or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience. No formal postsecondary training is expected.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills
- Must possess working knowledge of computers, fax machine, photocopier, and phone system
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and social skills
- Ability to multitask with flexibility and prioritization
- A passion for books and reading preferred
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: computer, printer, typewriter, facsimile machine, copier, and telephone, requiring hand-eye coordination and finger dexterity
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, as well as sit in front of a computer and speak or listen, walk, bend, or reach with hands and arms
- Routinely communicating face-to-face, on the telephone and in writing, requiring strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Frequently required to climb stairs and/or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Must be physically able to occasionally lift and/or move job-related objects or materials up to 25 pounds
- Transports materials between buildings through various weather conditions
- Must have clarity of vision of twenty inches or less
- Must be physically capable of reaching to obtain various books, printouts, file boxes, computer paper, etc.
- Must be physically able to transports materials between buildings through various weather conditions
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for sedentary or office environment work
- Work is normally performed in an office environment
- Employees must look after their own health, safety, welfare and be mindful of other persons who may be affected by their acts. Employees must cooperate and comply with management instructions regarding Health and Safety issues and report all accidents, incidents and problems as soon practicable to their supervisor.
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting applications until the position is filled
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds