Towns of Mapleton, Castle Hill, and Chapman
Deputy Town Clerk / GA Administrator
Nature of work:
The Deputy Town Clerk performs varied clerical and administrative work assisting the Town Clerk in the collection and record-keeping of various taxes, fees, and licenses. Assists the Town Clerk at the service counter issuing various licenses and permits, recording various documents and vital statistics, and maintaining a variety of records. Work may also involve administrative work for the Town Manager, Code Enforcement Officer, and Assessor. Work is normally carried out with independence subject only to general instructions and standard operating procedures. Considerable contact with the general public is required to serve town customers. Reports to the Town Clerk.
The General Assistance Administrator is responsible for the administration and implementation of the General Assistance program, to include the preparation and maintenance of official documents. Work is performed in accordance with towns’ ordinances, state and federal laws with a high degree of independence, and extensive public contact. Reports to the Town Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Waits on customers at the front counter performing a myriad of town transactions including accepting payments, issuing licenses, answering questions, and disseminating information requested from customers pertaining to town business.
- Participates in the billing, receipt, and recording of all taxes, fees, and license payments.
- Opens office and prepares front counter for daily operations.
- Serves as registration agent for the State of Maine and handles new vehicle registrations and re-registrations; facilitates the transfer of plates or issues new plates and stickers.
- Issues various licenses such as marriage, hunting, fishing, recreational vehicles and dog licenses, and maintains related records.
- May be assigned a special area of responsibility for report preparation and record-keeping.
- Performs related typing, clerical, and record-keeping duties.
- Answers telephone and directs callers to their desired party or answers inquires.
- Plans and conducts all elections; prepare polls, ballot boxes, voting machines and ballots. Instructs election officials on election laws and procedures. Issues absentee ballots, processes all election ballots, and reports results to the Secretary of State.
- May be asked to attend meetings, take notes, and prepare minutes of meetings as assigned by the Town Manager.
- Assists the Town Clerk with the composition of the Town Report, weekly and monthly reports.
- Assumes the duties of Town Clerk in her/his absence. Performs other Town Clerk functions as necessary.
- Maintains and upgrades the CVR and all its components.
- Assists with the General Assistance program, including interacting with clients, receiving applications, consulting State DHHS, processing purchase orders, and filing monthly reports.
- Performs all other related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, practices, equipment, and computers.
- Knowledge and understanding of the State statutes relating to the duties and responsibilities of town and city clerks.
- Ability to handle large volumes of cash and reconcile end-of-day cash ups.
- Ability to understand municipal government, the organization, the Deputy Clerk’s role within the organization and in the community.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Must have the ability to exercise confidentiality.
Requirements of Work:
Position requires frequent in-person contact with the public while serving customers at the front counter. Position works indoors, sitting at a desk, and standing to work the counter. The employee must be willing to continue education as necessary to maintain State required certifications and travel as necessary to obtain training.
- High School graduation and experience in work involving the maintenance and preparation of records supplemented by courses in business education or office procedures (desirable); or any equivalent combination of experience and training (essential).
- Proficiency in the use of computers, typewriters, and other office equipment (essential).
- Experience with TRIO, MOSES, and other municipal clerk programs (desirable).
This is a full-time position with office hours 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Benefits include health insurance, Maine State Retirement, and a 457 plan. The pay range for this position is $15.00 - $20.73 per hour depending upon experience.
For consideration, submit a resume and application no later than 4:00 pm on Friday, August 7, 2020, to: Town Manager; PO Box 500; Mapleton, ME 04757 or email@example.com. Applications and further information may be obtained at www.mapleton.me.
We are an equal opportunity employer
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds