TOWN OF CLIFTON
135 AIRLINE RD.
CLIFTON, MAINE 04428
November 13, 2020
The municipality of Clifton invites qualified independent public accountants to submit proposals for the performance of an audit of its financial accounts and records covering the period February 1, 2020 through January 31, 2021, for the purpose of rendering an auditor’s opinion regarding the fairness of applicable financial statements and compliance with applicable legal provisions, in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
The municipality of Clifton is a municipal corporation of the State of Maine with a population of 900+- and a total appropriation of $966,937.00 in the fiscal year. The most recent audit of the municipality was performed in March 2020 for the period February 1, 2019 to January 31st, 2020. A copy of the auditor’s report is available by request.
The accounting system of the municipality is comprised of a general ledger and other books of account and are organized on the basis of funds and account groups. The municipality is contracted with Harris Computers, TRIO.
Please indicate in your proposal if you agree to meet the following specifications. Explain any exceptions.
1. The audit shall be conducted in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
2. The audit shall be a financial and compliance review of all accounts and funds of the
Municipality listed in Section A of the RFP.
3. The audit firm shall submit a written report, containing an expression of opinion regarding
the financial statements of the municipality.
4. The audit shall cover the fiscal year starting February 1, 2020 and ending January 31st,
5. The audit firm shall submit a management letter, which shall identify management and
internal control weaknesses, if any, and propose steps to correct them,
6. The audit firm is also expected to assist the municipality in the preparation of the
Financial statements and supplementary schedules in accordance with generally accepted
7. The audit shall be conducted to satisfy the requirements of the State of Maine Department of
Audit and Title 30-A M.R.S.A § 5823.
8. The municipality views its engagement of an audit firm as an ongoing relationship in
which the firm is expected to provide consultation services as required on auditing,
accounting and other financial management concerns throughout the year.
9. The audit firm shall provide 6 copies of the auditor’s report, the financial statements and
schedules, and the management letter no later than days after the close of the fiscal year.
Instructions for Proposals
Copies of your proposals will be accepted by the municipal officers of Selectboard of Town of Clifton, 135 Airline Road, Clifton ME 04428 until December 31, 2020 4:00PM
The municipality shall evaluate the proposals on the basis of the qualifications, experience, and audit plan of the audit firms, as well as the estimated cost of the engagement.
The municipality may wish to conduct oral interviews with the firms considered most qualified in order to assist the municipality in the selection process.
Audit firms who want additional information of clarification should contact the municipality. Any inquiries should be directed to Deborah Hodgins, Administrative Assistant 843-0709 ext.1