RESTITUTION CLERK – DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
Picturesque Cumberland County is the State’s most populous county having a population of 289,977. Its largest city is Portland and the county geographically extends from Casco Bay to the Lakes Region. Cumberland County has the second largest body of water in the state, Sebago Lake, which provides numerous recreational opportunities. The County is the economic and industrial center of the state, having a strong corporate presence of major domestic and international companies. The County has over 400 dedicated employees, all focused on providing the best customer service to the County residents. Cumberland County is represented by five elected county commissioners and the county manager runs the daily operations.
Cumberland County is currently seeking qualified applicants to fill a 25-hour Restitution Clerk vacancy in the District Attorney’s Office.
JOB PURPOSE: The purpose of this position is to enhance the effectiveness of restitution collection activities. Responsibilities include coordination of the restitution process. Performs all other related work as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school education and two (2) to three (3) years of related experience, including basic knowledge of bookkeeping or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Past work experience interacting with the court system preferred. General knowledge of office procedures, practices and terminology. Working knowledge of departmental operations. Knowledge of the operation of computer software applications. Ability to communicate effectively with staff and the public. Ability to follow oral and written instructions accurately. Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to analyze facts, solve problems or research cases. Must be able to operate a personal computer and display intermediate skill when using software programs for word processing, database, spreadsheets and other software as required by the position. Ability to work as part of a team. Communicate on a routine basis, both on the telephone and with walk-in customers, in an adverse and time consuming manner and the ability to effectively communicate with defendants and/or victims who are emotional at times. Exceptional customer service skills. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Supervises and enforces restitution data entry of all new restitution cases.
- Explains the process to victims and defendants: communicates with Clerk’s Office; coordinates with the Department of Corrections.
- Handles restitution collection and disbursements; communicates information to victims.
- Researches balance/deposit discrepancies.
- Collect supervision fees for deferred cases.
- Sets up daily cash drawer for accurate deposit with Finance.
- Provides customer service by answering questions both in person or by telephone; provides information relative to departmental procedures; refers individuals to appropriate source as required.
- Maintains financial records on restitution cases.
- Provides victim and defendant contact, fielding calls, sending letters, dispersing funds.
- Manages court docket lists for restitution cases; attends court when motion to enforce restitution hearings are scheduled.
- Maintains accurate files by entering case information statistics into applicable database systems.
- Monitors payments and executes default notices on restitution cases with the court.
- Ensures that supplies are available for the receptionists to receive and record restitution payments.
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Supports the County’s safety and health policies by attending required safety training programs; reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazards to supervisor.
- Fulfills job functions by participating as an active member of training, participating on county task forces and performing other responsibilities as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Cumberland County is proud of its talented and dedicated workforce. Come join our culture of engaged employees! Our strong management team is dedicated to providing employees with inspiring leadership, a positive and friendly workplace, support, encouragement and the necessary tools for success. Cumberland County offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees, as well as tuition reimbursement, wellness program, and professional development and training opportunities. Hourly wage starts at $18.69, consideration given based on qualifications and experience.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and Employment Application (available on the Cumberland County website) via mail, fax, or email to:
Human Resource Department
142 Federal Street, Suite 110
Portland, Maine 04101
FMI or to download an application for employment visit http://www.cumberlandcounty.org/Jobs
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected Veteran status.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds