County of York
Registry of Deeds
Position: Deeds Clerk
FLSA: Hourly – Union (MSEA)
Rate of Pay: Grade 4 – M.S.E.A. Scale - $13.75/hour
Reports to: Registry of Deeds
Purpose of the Position
This full-time clerk position will perform duties of various natures and will require thorough knowledge of established policies and procedures of the department in conformance with Maine statutory requirements. This position is knowledgeable in all jobs in the department.
Works under the general supervisor of the Registry of Deeds and his/her designee who provides guidance and work evaluation. Entry level employee will be provided on the job training in jobs performed for a time period of six months, after six months at entry level work will be performed under general supervision. This employee should know the policies, practices, and procedures of the Registry of Deeds Office.
Responsibilities and Examples of Duties
- Answer phones, assist public and attorneys, etc. in the use of the Registry, and take requests for copies of documents or maps.
- Knowledge of clerical procedures and practices.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Prepare correspondence and reply to inquiries.
- Process incoming documents for recording. Follow instructions from sender as to recording sequence of documents and inspect them to ensure archival compliance.
- Calculate fees due, receive payment and process monies.
- Accurately record documents and maps in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Indexing of documents. Abstracting information to enter Deeds database system. (Grantor to Grantee, municipalities, etc.)
- Verification of all documents for accuracy.
- On a monthly basis, copy deeds and mortgages for each municipality in York County and provide an invoice for each document.
- Send monthly Transfer Tax forms to Maine State Revenue Service.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of:
1. The organization, powers, and limitations of County government.
2. Methods and techniques of Deeds research.
3. Calculate fees and handle monetary transactions.
Skill and Ability To:
1. Ability to provide quality customer service.
2. Provide direction and act as a resource for customers utilizing the Deeds Office.
3. Effectively communicate orally and in writing.
4. Ability to develop and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers and customers.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Administrative experience preferred.
- Proficiency and strong skills in the Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
- Experience working in the public sector preferred but not required.
Physical Demands And Working Environment
Work is performed in an office environment and in proximity to other workers. Incumbent shall be
exposed to those conditions normally encountered in a business office environment and is occasionally
subject to outdoor examination settings with exposure to diverse weather conditions such as wind, heat, cold, and rain. Physical demands are moderate, consisting primarily of sitting, standing, walking, lifting, and carrying moderately heavy boxes up to 50 pounds and/or utilizing a hand dolly. Incumbent must be able to see and hear in the normal range, with or without correction, and communicate verbally and in written form with great facility and must be able to be understood.
Interested candidates must submit a York County application and resume to Human Resources no later than Monday, January 25, 2021 @ 4 p.m.
York County applications can be located and downloaded from the county website: www.yorkcountymaine.gov
Applications / Resumes can be dropped off or mailed to:
York County Human Resources
Attn: Linda Corliss
45 Kennebunk Road
Alfred, ME 04002
Physical Address: 149 Jordan Springs Road, Alfred, ME 04002
York County Government is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds