County of York
Special Assistant to the Finance Director
FLSA: Exempt (Salary)
Annual Salary: Negotiable, dependent
Reports to: Finance Director
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
This full-time position works within the Finance Department and occupies a confidential position within the meaning of 26 M.R.S.A. 962 (6) (C).
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Works under the general supervisor of the Director of Finance and his/her designee, who provides guidance on conformance with established rules, regulations, and state laws. May at times supervise one, full-time employee within the Finance Department.
- Review, evaluate, approve, and process Purchase Orders.
- Review and perform cash reconciliation on operating account.
- Review and evaluate the sufficiency and appropriateness of all invoices; take action on them in accordance with established County procedures and approval protocols.
- Review and evaluate the accuracy of insurance invoices and reconcile those invoices with payroll deductions taken from employees.
- Review and determine accuracy of weekly payroll register in comparison to weekly time sheets submitted by employees; use independent judgment to investigate anything that is inaccurate or inconsistent for the purposes.
- Prepare monthly journal entries for all financial issues and matters.
- Responsible for CRAS conversion/reporting.
- Research, compile and analyze information for senior management on the financial impact of economic terms which are being considered by senior management in advance of and in connection with collective bargaining negotiations.
- Prepare financial summaries, explain and provide advice to the management bargaining team on financial issues. To include alternate economic positions and provide advice to the senior management bargaining team involved in the union(s) collective bargaining negotiations.
- Access current salary and benefit information and create spreadsheets on the economic impact of future salary changes being considered by senior management in advance of and in connection with collective bargaining negotiations.
- Review senior management’s collective bargaining positions and proposals for financial viability and impact prior to disclosure to the respective unions in preparation for and during collective bargaining negotiations.
- Review, evaluate and provide advice on the financial impact on alternative courses of action in the event of budgetary shortfalls such as shortfalls such as furloughs, layoffs, hiring freezes and other economic actions prior to the implementation of such action and/or the disclosure of the same to union.
- Act in a confidential capacity with respect to the Finance Director, the County Manager, the Human Resource Director, and the County Commissioners with respect to the financial analysis that is intertwined with the creation and implementation of collective bargaining positions. The occupant of this position must be aware that the disclosure of any confidential information could jeopardize the County’s position in the collective bargaining negotiations.
- Review, evaluate and disseminate for appropriate action all incoming mail into the Finance Department.
- All other specialty assigned projects within the Finance Department as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
This position requires effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and intermediate computer literacy.
Incumbent must possess the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Incumbent must possess the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Incumbent must possess the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Incumbent must possess the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Adheres to County Government Policy and Procedures.
- Acts as a role model within and outside the work environment.
- Performs duties as workload necessitates.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Meets County Government productivity and quality standards.
- Maintains appropriate customer relations.
Advanced education above high school preferred; years of experience in finance field may be substituted for an advanced degree.
EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS
Public sector finance experience preferred but not required. Familiarity with Munis, TLM, and KRONOS time keeping.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT(S)
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- A minimum of two years’ experience working directly with financial data. Specifically researching, analyzing, and presenting financial spreadsheets.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, and reference check.
- Must be able to provide proof us U.S. citizenship or legal right to work in the United States.
- Possess good customer service skills, and a professional and courteous demeanor.
The physical demands described here are representative of that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time; walk; use hands to type for in a repetitive motion; and reach with hands and arms. As well as on occasion lift 20 pounds or more.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Interested internal and external candidates must submit a York County application and resume to Human Resources no later than 4 p.m. on Monday, May 10, 2021
- York County applications can be located and downloaded from the county website: www.yorkcountymaine.gov
- Applications / Resumes can be dropped off or mailed to
York County Government
Attention Human Resource Department
45 Kennebunk Road
Alfred, ME 04002
Physical Address: 149 Jordan Springs Road, Alfred, ME 04002
York County Government is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity,
disability or protected Veteran Status.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds