Come join our team!
Do you enjoy working with people committed to making others’ lives better? Do you have a passion for bringing people together to meet challenges, and approach those challenges as opportunities and tasks with enthusiasm? Want to be part of transforming Maine’s communities and economy with real 21st century broadband? Are you someone who loves working collaboratively and independently? If you do, then this may be the opportunity for you!
The Greater Portland Council of Governments (GPCOG) seeks a full-time Digital Media Specialist to join our team of innovative thinkers and doers. The Digital Media Specialist will perform a variety of communications and digital media tasks including managing GPCOG’s social media content, developing engaging written and visual content for a range of communications channels, assisting in managing GPCOG’s contacts to maintain connections with market segments, and collateral development with internal and external partners.
Essential functions include:
- Develop written and visual content for GPCOG’s communications channels (website, social media, email campaigns, newsletters, events) and for stakeholders including cities and towns, transit agencies, and other partners.
- Develop, implement, and manage GPCOG’s social media content.
- Assist in managing GPCOG’s contact database to ensure communications with market segments
We are looking for a candidate with the following skills and qualifications:
- Any combination of education and experience the demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong writing and copyediting skills
- Proficiency with graphic design software such as Adobe Illustrator or Canva, photo or video editing, and web design platforms such as Wix or Squarespace
- Familiarity with strategies for reaching non-native English-speaking audiences with digital media including preferred social media platforms.
- Ability to identify and tap into networks to reach a broad range of audiences, including youth, older adults, the business community, immigrants and refugees, college students, civic leaders and young professionals
- An ability to think creatively
- An ability to perform in fast-paced environment and on tight deadlines
- Experience in animation is a plus
- And may – but are not required to – include:
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, digital media, journalism, the liberal arts, or other related discipline from an accredited college or university
- At least two years’ experience in digital media, communications/public relations, journalism or marketing
- Lived experience as a member of a community of color and/or other vulnerable population working to advance equity and justice.
- Meeting and event planning experience.
- Knowledge and enthusiasm about transportation, sustainability, land-use planning, broadband and racial equity.
- Experience with Section 508 compliance in digital media.
Occasional travel and extended hours are required.
GPCOG serves as federally designated metropolitan planning organization, the regional Economic Development District, and state designated regional planning agency supporting close to thirty member towns and municipalities throughout the greater Portland region. As Maine’s economic center, Greater Portland is an exciting region in which to work and live. GPCOG advances sustainable and shared prosperity for all in the Greater Portland and Lakes Region.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary from $35,000 to $60,000 per year depending on qualifications and experience, and a fun, flexible, and creative working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to representing the region’s diversity in our staff and creating a positive, inclusive workplace where all can thrive.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed beginning July 26, 2021 and will continue to be received until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (no phone calls please) to Vincent Edwards at email@example.com . Please include “Application for Digital Media Specialist” in the email subject line.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds