Town of North Yarmouth
Request for Proposal
Part-Time Municipal Planning Services
The Town of North Yarmouth adopted a revised Comprehensive Plan and zoning districts in 2018 which encourages the development of the Village Center to prevent sprawl in the rural areas of town. Amendments have been made to the Land Use Ordinance to reach that goal and encourage light commercial development in the Village Center. In 2019, a TIF district was created in a section of the Village Center. At the June 2021 Town Meeting, Form-based Code Building Standards were adopted for the Village Center district. The attractive rural nature of the town, which is relatively close to major employment centers, Portland and Lewiston/Auburn, has fueled rapid growth in home construction in the past two years and significantly increased the workload of the Planning Board.
The Town of North Yarmouth is seeking contracted part-time municipal planning services to support the Planning Board with the following tasks:
- Review subdivision and site-plan applications for completeness and compliance with the Land Use Ordinance and coordinate input from appropriate town departments
- Work with applicants to facilitate complete and detailed applications in a timely manner
- Prepare Finding of Facts and other necessary correspondence as required
- Provide technical support to the Planning Board for Land Use Ordinance and zoning district amendments as needed
- Attend Planning Board monthly meetings and workshops as needed
- Establish a productive working relationship with the Planning Board, Code Enforcement Officer, Executive Assistant to Code Enforcement office, Town Manager and other town staff as required
- Coordinate third-party peer reviews
- Liaise with MDEP & MDOT and other state departments’ staff on an as needed basis
- Work with Code Enforcement office to ensure the town’s application files are complete
- Bachelor’s degree in municipal planning or closely related field
- Professional Maine municipal planning experience
- Competency in planning development review
- Ability to interpret the town’s Land Use Ordinance
- Experience with Maine state Land Use regulations and statutes
- Knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order
- Effective oral and written communication skills (candidates are encouraged to submit a sample technical report)
Interested parties are requested to submit:
- Cover letter
- Resume/Professional credentials and availability
- 3 references (contact name, email address, and phone number) for similar positions
- Hourly rate
Proposals will be accepted in either of the two following formats by no later than November 1, 2021 at 3:00 pm:
- Sealed envelope clearly marked “Part-Time Municipal Planning Services” addressed to Audrey Lones, Planning Board Chair, Town of North Yarmouth, 10 Village Square Road, North Yarmouth, ME 04097. Submit one (1) hard copy; or
- Email a clear/legible PDF to subject “CONFIDENTIAL - Part-Time Municipal Planning Services” firstname.lastname@example.org
All inquiries should be directed to Tracey Cox, Executive Assistant, North Yarmouth Code Enforcement Officer & Assessor at email@example.com or 207-829-3705 Option 1.
Proposals will be evaluated by the Planning Board Chair and Secretary, Code Enforcement Officer and the Town Manager according to the following:
- Previous related work and references
- Demonstrated understanding of the municipal planning support needs of North Yarmouth
- Cost of services
Proposal reviews and interviews will be conducted from November 8 – November 22, 2021.
The intent is to award a contract prior to the December 14, 2021 Planning Board meeting.
The Town reserves the right to accept or reject any or all Proposals submitted, to waive terms stated herein; to reopen the Request for Proposals process and seek new proposals if to do so will best serve the interests of the Town of North Yarmouth.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds