ASSOCIATE CORPORATION COUNSEL – Land Use and Regulatory Attorney
Corporation Counsel -
The City of Portland’s Corporation Counsel’s office seeks a seasoned municipal attorney with experience in the areas of land use, planning, and licensing as well as with the civil litigation and enforcement that often accompanies those areas of law.
Portland is Maine’s largest and most dynamic City and boasts a working waterfront, international airport, world class dining and arts scene, and some of the best that Maine has to offer. Based in City Hall, in the heart of Portland’s Old Port, Corporation Counsel’s Office is a fast-paced, close-knit team, of attorneys and three support staff working collaboratively to advise the City Council, City staff, and various appointed boards and committees on the full spectrum of issues that arise in and inform municipal government.
This newly configured position will provide legal guidance and representation on the broad spectrum of the City's regulatory activities, including business licensing, land use, regulation of street and park activities, housing, and code compliance. The successful candidate will support the regulatory work of multiple City departments, including its Departments of Planning and Urban Development, Permitting and Inspections, and Public Works. This position will also support the City’s Fire Prevention efforts within its Fire Department. As such, the successful candidate will serve a critical role in the City’s efforts to support continued, sustainable growth while also ensuring fair and equitable compliance with the state and local regulations that ensure the safety and vitality of Portland’s residents, businesses, and guests, alike.
- Work collaboratively with the Planning and Urban Development Department and serve as legal counsel to the City’s Planning Board; advise staff and the Planning Board on matters relating to land use applications and arising under the City’s zoning and land use ordinances.
- Advise the Permitting and Inspections Department on general ordinance interpretation and implementation; work with the Department on enforcing a myriad of ordinance regulating housing and businesses in the City; assist with ordinance, regulation, and form drafting, as needed.
- Work with the Fire Prevention Office on ordinance drafting, interpretation, and enforcement.
- Attend meetings of the City’s Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, Rent Board, and other citizen boards, as required to provide legal advice and support.
- Advise elected and appointed officials, as necessary, in connection with the above responsibilities.
- Manage or support administrative actions or litigation arising out of the above responsibilities.
- Work as a team player to support other members of Corporation Counsel’s Office in meeting the City’s need for legal services.
- Ability to work as part of a team, both internal to Corporation Counsel’s Office and with internal City clients.
- Ability to work independently and to take charge of a project or issue from beginning to end.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to effectively explain complex legal issues to staff, elected and appointed officials, and members of the public.
- Commitment to collaborative problem solving with internal and external stakeholders.
Required education and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited law school with a satisfactory academic record.
- Member in good standing of the Maine Bar and a member or eligible for membership in the Federal Bar.
- Minimum of three years legal experience, including land use and municipal experience.
- Strong preference for attorneys with demonstrated experience in advising municipal boards and committees, and 80B and 80K litigation.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
Salary range: $100,544 to $123,658 annually, with excellent benefits package.
Deadline for applications for this position is Monday, December 20, 2021.
To VIEW/APPLY for this position please visit our Employment Opportunities page at: www.portlandmaine.gov/Jobs.
City Benefits -
Permanent, full-time employees receive a generous benefits package which includes 13 ½ paid holidays; employee health insurance; sick and vacation leave; optional life, dental, vision and income protection insurances; choice of retirement plans; and tuition reduction program with the University of Southern Maine.
The City of Portland is strongly committed to diversity in its workforce.
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
For questions contact Human Resources by email at email@example.com or 207-874-8624.
City Job Opportunities Website: www.portlandmaine.gov/Jobs
***COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate*** As a condition of employment, you must demonstrate proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to start of employment. If you cannot get vaccinated due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief, you may request an exemption as a reasonable accommodation. Failure to provide proof of vaccination will result in your exclusion from employment with the City of Portland.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds