The Town of Windham is currently seeking two full time Firefighter/Paramedics to join our department. The Windham Fire-Rescue Department is a combination department providing service to 18,500 citizens over 56 square miles responding to 3,300 calls annually.
This is a technical position responsible for providing prompt and accurate medical care, interior, exterior firefighting and apparatus operation. Responsibilities include dealing effectively with the public to mitigate emergent and non-emergent requests for services, and performing specific delegated tasks, all under the general guidance and direct supervision of the officers and supervisors of the department. Performance is evaluated based on daily observation and results, EMS quality assurance and department call statistics.
Position Title: Firefighter-Paramedic
Department: Fire-Rescue Department
Reports to: Full-Time Deputy
Classification: Non-Exempt [$21.95 - $25.72/hour]
Rates of Pay effective 01/01/2022
[$23.95 - $27.72/hour]
Bargaining Unit: Windham and Raymond Professional Firefighters Association – I.A.F.F. Local 4095
No. of Openings: 2 – 42-hour Full-Time Positions
24 hours on, 2 days off, 24 hours on, 4 days off
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
*Successful completion of a physical agility test or valid CPAT card required.*
- Perform patient assessment, treatment and transport at basic and advanced life support levels in accordance with current protocols, standing orders and best practices.
- Perform firefighting activities including but not limited to suppression, ventilation, search and rescue, overhaul, forcible entry, rehab, rapid intervention, and vehicle extrication.
- Safely and proficiently operates all department apparatus under both routine and emergency response in all types of conditions.
- Utilizes self-contained breathing apparatus and other personnel protective equipment necessary to create a safe working environment.
- Reports to an emergency scene and may assume any role in the incident command system, until relieved and reassigned.
- Completes required apparatus and equipment checks.
- Ensures that all areas of their assigned station are kept clean and organized.
- Reports on building maintenance, apparatus, and equipment problems.
- Participates in calls, details, inspections and trainings when on shift.
- May act as the officer in charge in accordance with departmental policy.
- Maintains confidentiality and satisfactory working relationships with co-workers, department officers, public officials, contractors, and the general public.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs other work as may be required in support of Windham Fire-Rescue.
- Familiarity with MS Office, Excel, Outlook and Word programs and specialized software including but not limited to Emergency Reporting, Image Trend, and Fire Manager;
- Thorough knowledge of, and proficiency in, modern firefighting methods and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of, and proficiency in, EMS best practices, methods and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of, and proficiency in, public education methods and techniques;
- Knowledge and use of department Standard Operating Guidelines;
- Ability to analyze situations correctly and quickly and to adopt effective courses of action, giving regard to surrounding hazards and conditions;
- Ability to effectively plan, assign, and direct the work of co-workers during the course of on scene operations; and
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent;
- Firefighter I certificate, Firefighter II preferred;
- Valid Maine EMS Paramedic License;
- Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support or equivalent;
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support;
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support or equivalent;
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Valid State of Maine Driver’s License;
- Successful completion of a state certified Emergency Vehicle Operators Course;
- Adherence to and with departmental policies, trainings , general orders and memo’s, etc.;
- Must have the ability to work fixed or rotating shifts, covering 24hrs a day;
- Successfully completes a physical abilities test;
- Successfully completes a comprehensive background investigation;
- Successfully completes a post offer comprehensive physical evaluation;
- Must successfully complete an annual respiratory protection assessment by the towns’ medical provider;
- Exercises common sense and sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions;
- Effectively gives and receives verbal and written instructions; and
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the geography of the Town of Windham, including the location of streets, fire hydrants, water sources, and major fire hazards.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Strenuous physical effort required; must frequently lift and/or move 50 pounds and occasionally move and/or lift minimally 50 pounds; frequently more. May work near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and may occasionally be exposed to wet and or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. Work is often performed in emergency and stressful situations. Hazards associated with fighting fires and emergency medical operations including; smoke, noxious odors, fumes, chemicals, liquid chemicals, solvents, oils, blood borne and air borne diseases and other potentially infectious materials. May be exposed to loud noises at emergency scenes. Work is performed primarily in the station, vehicles and outdoor settings, in all weather conditions, including temperature extremes, day and night.
Frequently required to sit, talk or hear, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach over head with hands and arms in order to perform the essential functions of the position. Occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and/or smell. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Competitive Benefits: Maine State Retirement Plan 3C, 457 Retirement option, Health, Dental, Life, Disability, Paid sick and vacation time.
Please submit via
email: email@example.com or apply online at
or mail: Town of Windham
8 School Road
Windham, ME 04062
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds