Department: Sheriff’s Office Job Title: Patrol Deputy (Unorganized Territories)
Classification: Non-Exempt/Union Office Hours: Rotating Shifts
Starting Salary: $20.55 or BOE Total Hours: Full-Time 43 hours
The Patrol Investigator/Deputy is primarily responsible for enforcing laws of the State of Maine, Title 17A and Title 29, answering calls for service for the citizens of Somerset County, Criminal Investigation. This position is primarily responsible for providing law enforcement services in the Unorganized Territories (UT). The ideal candidate will reside within the unorganized territories or the Jackman area.
Previous law enforcement experience is preferred.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Equipment operation activities which include safe and proper use of required materials, equipment or tools; maintains materials, equipment and tools in a serviceable and clean condition, conducts visual check of materials, equipment or tools; reads and demonstrates an understanding of materials or instructions; adjusts to changing work conditions in order to prevent injuries to self, others and to materials, equipment or tools; services and repairs equipment in accordance to contract, compliance notice or other scheduled maintenance/repairs; prepares and distributes required reports; maintains an inventory of assigned equipment and maintains proper storage of assigned materials, equipment or tools;
- Safety activities to include the proper handling of and compliance to hazardous waste/materials issues; uses personal protective safety equipment as required by instructions, policy, procedure, or other requirements; uses materials, equipment and tool safety devices as required; conduct in or assists with the safe preparation, assembly and dismantling of materials, equipment and tools; adjusts to changing conditions during work assignment in order to prevent accidents;
- Criminal investigation activities to include interviewing witnesses, victims or suspects for information; sketches/draws crime scenes and other scenes in order to preserve and recreate; shares information on a need-to-know basis with criminal justice or to other agencies involved; follows up on assigned complaints/investigations; testifies in State, Federal or Administrative court;
- Crime scene processing activities to include preservation and collection of evidence in felony cases; shares skills with others; follows correct procedures for evidence/information collection processing and search; monitors methods of crime scene search and application; maintains required records involving handling and storing of evidence, contraband or lost items; completes and submits monthly or other reports required by policies, procedures or statutes; reviews and recommends changes in procedure/techniques; assists Agency members and other law enforcement agencies when assigned; maintains and operates materials, equipment and tools in relation to crime scene processing; testifies in State, Federal or Administrative Court;
- Public relations activities which include assisting in maintaining information on criminal investigations, evidence collection and storage and crime scene processing for press releases in order to inform and to develop a positive image of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office in an effort to promote community policing;
- Administrative activities to include the submission of investigation, evidence or other required reports within policies, procedures or statute guidelines; plans work assignments, activities; schedules work according to Agency priorities, maintains and updates files; maintains a chain-of-custody for evidence in possession; coordinates activities with Agency and other involved agencies;
- Maintains educational, technical and licensing proficiency in subject areas;
- Formulates and/or follows methods and procedures involving technical area;
- Completes work to required specifications or standards;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This description is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities associated with this position. While this is intended to be a reflection of the current position, management reserves the right to revise these responsibilities or require other or different tasks to be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, technological development, etc.)
- Education and Training: Minimum High School Diploma or G.E.D., Bachelors or Associates degree in criminal justice or related discipline preferred.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License.
- Physically capable of performing functions/activities of a patrol investigator.
- Willing to work flexible schedule.
- Meets standards set by Maine Criminal Justice Academy.
- No extensive or serious traffic violations record.
- Selected candidate will be required to live in Somerset County north of Moscow.
Working Conditions and Job Hazards:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hand to finger, handle, or operate objects, controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply visit our website http://www.somersetcounty-me.org/jobs.html
Resumes will NOT be considered without being accompanied by a Completed Application.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds