The Town of Wells is seeking an energetic and creative professional to fill the role of Library Assistant – Youth Services at the Wells Public Library, a cherished community resource for the town and one of Southern Maine’s foremost public libraries. The Wells Public Library has an active and supportive Board of Trustees and Friends group, as well as dedicated staff and volunteers, who all contribute to a stimulating and positive work environment.
The Library Assistant – Youth Services is responsible for planning, promoting, and running events for teens and children as well as providing them with readers’ services. The essential functions of this position are:
- Responsible for providing readers’ services at the Young Adult and Youth Services Desks during afterschool hours
- Responsible for maintaining displays and bulletin boards in the Young Adult area.
- Shares in patron services duties by working the patron services desk as part of Library staff; provides range of patron services to Library patrons which may include technical assistance, readers advisory, circulation of library materials, and reference.
- Provides programming for teens and children.
- Assists in collection development for young adult materials.
- Creates library's monthly calendar online and on paper.
- Creates flyers for teen and children's programming
- Attends library conferences and book reviews as appropriate.
Education and Experience: Graduate of a two-year college with an Associate’s degree with one to three (1-3) years of related work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Knowledge: Knowledge of and interest in children and teen books; basic familiarity with many fields of knowledge; some knowledge of library procedures and classification systems.
Skill: Proficient interpersonal, customer service and community outreach skills to interact with patrons of all ages and to maintain effective working relationships with staff; proficient oral and written communication skills; excellent organizational and technology skills.
Physical Demands: Work effort principally involves sitting or standing to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. Occasional effort in lifting, loading, pulling, or pushing of objects such as books, office equipment, and other library resource materials.
Motor Skills: Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone system, using a computer and related computer technology and/or most other office equipment, filing, and sorting.
Visual Demands: Visual demands include routinely reading documents for general understanding and for analytical purposes.
The Town of Wells offers competitive pay, benefit package including health, dental, STD, Life Ins, vision, FSA and an incentive-based Wellness program.
Applications for Employment can be obtained by visiting the Town’s website at www.wellstown.org or the Human Resources Department at Town Hall. Completed applications should be sent to: Attn: Human Resources, Town of Wells, 208 Sanford Road, Wells, Maine 04090 or email to email@example.com.
To be considered for employment with the Town of Wells applicants must complete the Town’s Application for Employment.
The Town of Wells is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds