This is a clerical and customer service position assisting the Library Director in carrying out activities of the Windham Public Library. Responsibilities include dealing effectively with the public concerning department activities, and performing specific delegated tasks, all under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Circulation Supervisor. Performance is evaluated based on daily observation and results.
Position Title: Library Circulation Assistant
Department: Windham Public Library
Reports to: Circulation Supervisor
Classification: Non-Exempt 3 [$16.181 - $21.746/hour]
No. of Openings: 1 – 20 - hour Part-Time Position
Hours as follows:
Wednesday 1-5, Thursday 2-6, Friday 12-4, Monday 3-7, Tuesday 2-6
Wednesday 1-5, Thursday 2-6, Saturday 12-4, Monday 3-7, Tuesday 2-6
- Staffs customer service desk; checks in and out library materials; inputs and updates patron information, as needed; assists patrons with their accounts.
- Verifies, sorts, and shelves materials from the returns desk, book drops, sorters, room use, and acquisitions.
- Reads shelves to maintain proper order; shifts and straightens collections as space or displays require.
- Prepares outgoing items for Interlibrary delivery and processes incoming items from other libraries.
- Prints reports and retrieves materials to fill hold requests.
- Answers the phone and transfers calls to appropriate staff members.
- Assists patrons with self-service resources including library catalog, public computers, and copier use.
- Answers general information inquiries regarding library events and services.
- Assists with opening and closing routines.
- Participates in providing a safe and welcoming environment at the library.
- Performs other work as may be required in support of the library.
- Knowledge of books, viewing and listening materials in order to assist readers. Experience with NoveList database desired.
- Computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office programs, databases, the Internet and specialized library and catalog software programs.
- Graduate from an accredited college or university;
- One to three years’ of experience in a library setting; with knowledge of Millennium software and experience with the MINERVA Consortium desired; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Moderate physical effort required; normally seated or standing with freedom of movement on a regular basis; operating office equipment, and handling books and supplies. Extensive periods may be spent standing or operating a computer and using hands and wrists in frequent repetitive motions. Interaction with others via face-to-face communication, telephone, email, and written correspondence; flexibility of motion – repetitive sitting and standing assisting staff and citizens; ability to lift 25 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds