HELP WANTED: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SELECTBOARD IN FRENCHBORO
The Town of Frenchboro is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Administrative Assistant to aid the Selectboard in its management of town affairs and compliance with its governance duties.
The preferred candidate will have relevant experience with issues issues a town typically faces – handling email traffic to the town (and from residents), municipal governance, real estate matters; tax issues (assessments, committing taxes, tax maps, transfers, etc.), waste disposal, ferry service, project management, and so on.
Because Frenchboro is a small island, accessible 3-4 times a week by ferry from Bass Harbor, it is perhaps equally important that the candidate be a practical and creative problem-solver, with good communication skills (written as well as verbal); have relevant computer literacy skills to include MS Office, Google, Trio, relevant web tools; able to act as congenial go-between among relevant parties; know how and when able to push matters through to conclusion; and when/how to reach out for expert help. Particularly valued skills would include a demonstrated ability in grant writing for harbor maintenance and other municipal needs.
Duties that will be required of the candidate:
- Prepare agenda for Selectboard meetings, take minutes and post notices as required.
- Maintain documentation to include agenda, minutes, warrants and other as needed for financial records for the fiscal year
- Update and maintain the Frenchboro website at Maine.gov
- Receive and sort mail, direct it appropriately, receive messages by email and phone and direct those appropriately, checking email and website at least three times per week
- Assist in property assessment process, print tax bills and labels, complete MVR and certificates of assessment to Tax Collector and Treasurer
- Prepare town annual report, town meeting warrants and notifying clerk of relevant dates
- Post notices of public meetings and prepare suitable community spaces
- Order office supplies as needed
- Act as liaison between Selectboard and other municipal committees and officials; including but not limited to monitoring progress, assisting with compliance with State of Maine requirements, and reporting to Selectboard
- Collate annual Town Report materials, arrange for printing and mail to taxpayers upon completion
- Maintain safety of all records including backups
- Become familiar with key stakeholders and relevant entities including but not limited to The Island Institute, Maine Seacoast Mission and Maine Coast Heritage Trust, etc.
- Review and update as needed town ordinances
- Maintain relationship with Maine Municipal Association
- Monitor the budget and financial affairs of the town, including frequent communication with the Treasurer to coordinate timely preparation of IRS forms, monthly financial reports, audit process and recording transactions in Trio
Facility and a comfort level with math and basic financial matters are vital, as well as familiarity with the duties of and demands on the Town Treasurer.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in municipal budgeting, grant writing and project management. A working knowledge of Frenchboro or relevant island history is also preferred.
The position will report to and carry out directives of the Selectboard. We will consider a virtual position, but a candidate must live close enough to Bass Harbor to come to Frenchboro on the first and third Wednesdays of each month, when a ferry leaves Bass Harbor at 9 a.m. and returns from Frenchboro at 3 p.m. A Friday passenger-only ferry operates seasonally to allow greater attendance as required. During stated office hours will be available to respond to resident questions when attendance on island is not feasible.
Salary is $15,000 per year. The position is anticipated to require an average of 10-12 hour per week.
Resumes and inquiries should be directed to Frenchboro@gmail.com
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds