POSITION: Transfer Station Attendant and Roll-off Truck Driver (CDL Class B)
LOCATION: Solon, Maine
SALARY: $16.50 - $17.50 per hour based on qualifications
SUPERVISOR: Board of Selectmen
I. Job Post Summary
This position is a part-time (approx. 28 hours per week with potential to be full-time), semi-skilled manual labor job for the Municipal Solid Waste & Recycling Transfer Station as a Transfer Station Attendant and Roll-off Truck Driver.
1. The position includes twenty hours per week as a Transfer Station Attendant who serves as a point of contact for customers depositing recyclable material and municipal solid waste at the Solon Transfer Station; collects tipping fees, checks loads, and ensures the safety of the customer and other employees through observation of safety rules and regulations. Weekend hours required. May be required to lift equipment, tools or in combination in excess of 75 pounds.
2. As well as an additional four to eight hours of driving a Roll-off Truck (CDL Class B required). The position requires the operation of light to moderately heavy trucks. Loader and skid-steer operation and knowledge of general maintenance requirements of various pieces of light to heavy motorized equipment or willingness to learn a plus. Special requirements include; A or B commercial driver’s license and to be insurable under the Town’s vehicle insurance coverage.
3. Additional hours may be available with the Highway Department as a Dump/Plow Truck Driver & General Laborer.
Wednesday and weekend hours required as the Transfer Station Attendant. Deliveries with the Roll-off truck allow for flexibility in scheduling as long as they are completed during the week as needed. Availability to be on-call during the week for other pick-ups and deliveries. These will vary as determined by the needs of the Town of Solon.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Greets and directs customers and other traffic, and answers questions accurately.
- Correctly calculates and collects tipping fees for customers.
- Ensures that incoming waste loads are safe and do not contain any inappropriate material.
- Ensures that customers and employees conduct all business in a safe manner and wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Provides general upkeep of the Transfer Station.
- Completes all administrative tasks and completes required reports.
- Keeps immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems or matters requiring his/her attention.
- Attends company sponsored training and meetings, as directed.
- Works additional hours as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Approaches all encounters with employees, customers and vendors in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Transports solid waste and recycling materials to our vendor locations in a safe and timely manner as not to infringe on the operation of the Transfer Station.
- Remain insurable under the Town’s vehicle insurance coverage.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
· Education: High School Diploma (preferred)
· Experience: Transfer Station Attendant: n/a, CDL Class B Commercial Driver: One (1) year
· Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Class B Commercial Driver's License
Rates of compensation will vary between the hours worked as an Attendant from that as a Commercial Driver and may depend on skills and/or qualifications
A job description for this position is available at the Town Office.
Please forward a letter of interest, application and resume to Town of Solon, 121 South Main St., PO Box 214, Solon, ME 04979 or by email. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. The Town of Solon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds