Request for Proposals
The Town of Lamoine seeks competitive proposals for a contracted Municipal Tax Assessor, beginning July 1, 2023. The Town currently has an elected Board of Assessors, but voted on November 8, 2022, to replace the elected Board of Assessors with a single assessor appointed by the Select Board.
The Town is currently undergoing a full revaluation of real property, being conducted by RJD Appraisal, which will be completed effective April 1, 2023.
It is anticipated that the Town will enter into a 3-year contract with the selected applicant. The proposal should provide the annual cost for each of the three years of the anticipated contract.
All Proposals are to be submitted in sealed envelopes marked “Municipal Tax Assessor Proposal” to the Select Board, Town of Lamoine, 606 Douglas Highway, Lamoine, ME 04605 no later than 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 30, 2022. The Proposal must be signed by the Proposer with its full name, address, and contact information (including email).
Proposals will be evaluated based on qualifications, experience, and cost to the town.
THE TOWN OF LAMOINE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO NEGOTIATE, ACCEPT OR REJECT THE TERMS OF ANY AND ALL PROPOSAL(S), WHICH MAY BE DEEMED TO BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TOWN. WE ALSO RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ACCEPT OR REJECT ANY OR ALL PROPOSALS OR PARTS OF PROPOSALS AND TO WAIVE ANY FORMALITIES AND TECHNICALITIES.
Services generally shall involve performing all assessing duties required by the State of Maine, and shall include, but are not limited to:
- Assess all real and personal property in accordance with Title 36, MRSA, Section 701-A, including processing applications for various tax exemptions permitted under Maine law.
- Prepare the annual tax commitment, process applications for abatement, issue any necessary supplemental taxes, and prepare the annual Municipal Valuation Return
- Perform annual assessing reviews each spring of all new construction, as well as a review of all construction from prior years that had not yet been completed.
- Read all deeds and determine when lots have split.
- Process all lot splits by creating new record cards for new lots and make necessary valuation changes to update the records.
- Process all straight transfers by updating ownership information into the Town’s assessing software and removing any exemptions if warranted.
- Draft to scale, all land splits, subdivisions, and map corrections onto the Town’s tax maps for update by a digital mapping company.
- Maintain a record of all assessing changes to be given to staff for entry into the town’s property tax database.
- Dedicate two days per month, on average, at the Town Office for scheduled meetings with taxpayers and to perform any other necessary assessing functions.
- Other undesignated days will be spent at the Town Office to perform all necessary assessing functions in a timely manner, not to exceed two days per month, on average.
- Undertake any standard and necessary function of an Assessor that may be reasonably required.
General Contractor Requirements
- Commercial General Liability Insurance which includes Employer’s Non-Ownership Automobile Liability with limits of $2,000,000/occurrence and $4,000,000/aggregate.
- Maintain Workers Compensation Insurance with limits of $100,000,000/occurrence.
- Contractor shall work as an independent contractor not as an employee of the Town.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds