The Windham Parks and Recreation Student Internship is a paid position designed to broaden knowledge, understanding and skills related to the delivery of Parks and Recreation services in the municipal setting. The internship provides opportunities for students to apply educational concepts to real-world situations, improve skills and discover possible career paths.
Position: Student Internship - Recreation Programming
Department: Parks and Recreation
Report To: Parks and Recreation Director
Location: Windham Town Hall and other off-site locations
- Assist with programs and events for all ages.
- Assists with interviews, staff training/orientation for seasonal summer staff.
- Assist with Summer Day Camp operation.
- Assist with staff scheduling and staff evaluations of seasonal/per diem employees.
- Assist with scheduling reservations for all facilities.
- Assist with phone calls, e-mail inquiries, data entry and other administrative duties as assigned.
- Assist with development of promotional materials for recreation program offerings.
- Develop and implement a new program or special event to be offered prior to completion of internship.
- Gain a greater appreciation of serving the public sector and a greater understanding of the issues facing local government.
- Become aware of direct line of personnel and support services involved in the delivery of our service.
- Become familiar with the municipal budgeting process and the financial operation of our programs and facilities.
- Become familiar with public relations and marketing techniques.
- Enhance and expand the understanding and importance of professional collaborations and partnerships.
Opportunities and Support:
- Daily access to the Parks and Recreation Team to ask questions, share ideas and process information.
- Connect with a network of professionals and learn more about the Town of Windham and local government.
- Enjoy challenging and fulfilling work that helps to advance and refine career interest in the public sector.
- Working toward a bachelor’s or master’s degree in parks & recreation, education, sports management, business or a related field.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Considerable knowledge of and proficiency in current computer applications.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks requiring a high level of organization.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work effectively with diverse staff and the general public.
- Must have transportation to and from work
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Valid State of Maine Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- CPR/First Aid Instructor certification or ability to obtain certification upon hire.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Moderate to strenuous physical effort required; frequently required to stand, sit, bend, and squat for extended periods; expected to lift, carry and manage equipment and supplies up to 25 pounds. Work performed both in a normal office setting and outdoors; operates various automotive equipment, including truck, van, and bus, and travels to various locations and uses computers, keyboards, and other office equipment requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity. Interaction with others via face-to-face communication, telephone, email, and written correspondence; flexibility of motion – up and down a lot assisting staff and citizens. Balancing, crouching, grasping, pulling, reaching and stooping may also be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
In order to be considered for an internship with the Windham Parks and Recreation Department please submit the following:
- Internship Employment Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (excluding relatives)
The Windham Parks and Recreation Department is accepting applications until this position is filled. Applications are available at Windham Parks and Recreation, 8 School Road, Windham, ME from M-F, 8:00 – 4:00 or online at https://windhamme.myrec.com/forms/6260_2023_internship_application_fillable.pdf. Submit applications via mail or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information call 207-892-1905 or e-mail email@example.com
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds