TOWN OF FREEPORT, MAINE
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
TOWN MANAGER RECRUITMENT CONSULTING SERVICES
ISSUE DATE: 03/16/23 - RESPONSE DEADLINE: THURSDAY 04/06/23 - 1:00PM EST
The Town is soliciting proposals from experienced executive search and recruitment firms to assist in recruiting applicants for the position of Town Manager.
Sealed proposals, clearly marked “Town Manager Recruitment Consulting Services” and addressed to Judy Hawley, Assistant Town Manager, Town of Freeport, 30 Main St. Freeport, ME 04032 will be received until 1:00PM EST on Thursday April 06, 2023. Faxed or e-mailed proposals will not be accepted.
The Town of Freeport, Maine (pop. 8,737) is located approximately twenty minutes from Maine's largest city, Portland, along the northern reaches of picturesque Casco Bay. Its 37 miles of tidal coastline include numerous inhabited islands, as well as a mix of rocky shoreline, iconic Maine clam flats, and riverine and estuarine ecosystems.
Freeport is perhaps most widely known as one of Maine's top tourist destinations. A mix of local shops and restaurants, national retailers, lodging establishments, special events, and historic points of interest in the Village area attract visitors on a year-round basis, but many residents and visitors know a different side of Freeport, where the scenic beauty of coastal areas mixes with bucolic farm fields, historic architecture, and small-town charm to create a unique community that is equally vibrant and relaxed. Not just a great place to visit, but a great place to live, too.
The Town operates pursuant to a municipal charter and under a Council/Manager form of government. The Town has seven councilors, with four coming from one of each of the Town’s four voting districts and three being elected “at large”. The Town Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of all municipal departments and is authorized to carry out the policies of the Council. The Town employs approximately 75 full-time employees and 80+ part-time and seasonal employees. Freeport is a member of a three-town Regional School Unit. The Town has a taxable valuation of approximately $2.7 billion. The FY 2023 Municipal General Fund Budget is approximately $12 million.
The Town of Freeport has a proven track record and expectation of stability in its Town Managers and Department Directors. Freeport’s current Town Manager will be leaving employment with the Town in April of 2023, after more than ten years in the position, while the previous Manager served in the position for over thirty years.
II. SCOPE OF SERVICES SOUGHT
The Town of Freeport is seeking a qualified consultant or consulting firm to provide direct assistance to the Freeport Town Council as it undertakes a Town Manager recruitment and selection process. The scope of services sought is presented for reference. The final scope of work will be developed in consultation with the Town. The services expected during the recruitment and selection process include but are not limited to:
1. Development of Candidate Profile & Recruitment Materials - The Town expects the consultant to hold a minimum of three in person meetings (one each with Town Council, Department Directors, and
Residents) to receive input on the qualities desired in its next Town Manager. Based on input received at the public meetings, as well as the established duties and responsibilities of the Town Manager as laid out in the Freeport Town Charter and the Freeport Administrative Code, the consultant will develop a job description and recruitment materials for advertising the position, as well as an expected range of compensation for advertisement purposes.
2. Advertise the job opening/candidate profile/recruitment materials using multiple outlets, including consultant’s website and any relevant professional association websites. Develop and implement a strategy for recruitment, identifying potential candidates through personal outreach, with an emphasis on encouraging applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
3. Initial review and screening of application materials for background and qualifications, including interviews and evaluations at the consultant level to clarify each applicant’s qualifications and credentials. Based on this initial review, the consultant will present the Town Council with a slate of (10-12) preliminary candidates.
4. Participate in deliberations with Town Council to develop a list of up to five finalists from the slate of preliminary candidates. For purposes of developing cost proposals, it should be assumed that the deliberations to select the slate of finalist candidates will comprise two separate non-public meetings with the Town Council, either in person, or by video/audio conferencing technology.
5. Conduct background checks on all finalists, including review of credit history, news coverage, social media content, criminal records, education/employment verification, and pending litigation.
6. Develop a process and schedule with the Town Council for in person interviews with the finalist candidates, and coordinate candidates’ participation in interviews. Interviews may include a public interview/meeting component.
7. Participate in deliberations for the selection of a finalist. For the purposes of developing cost proposals, it should be assumed that deliberations to select a finalist will comprise one non-public meeting with the Town Council, in person.
8. Work with the Town Council and Town Attorney to develop a job offer, including recommendations for a competitive compensation and benefit package. Work with Town Council and Town Attorney to develop draft contract language.
9. Notify all applicants of decisions made by the Consultant and/or Town at each phase of the selection and interview process.
III. SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS
Submittal requirements are intended to enable the Town to make an objective comparison of each proposal.
1. Cover Sheet including full name and address of the consultant’s organization(s), the state of incorporation or in which it is licensed to operate, and the form of business, and the name and contact information for the organization.
2. Narrative Description of the proposal and describe the approach to the scope of services. This should include examples of successful community outreach processes you have incorporated into past recruitments.
3. Proposed timeline for this search
4. Resume/CV and/or Profile of each staff person expected to work directly on this recruitment project.
5. Examples of candidate profile/recruitment materials prepared during previous recruitments for comparable municipal positions. For materials that are viewable/accessible online (ex: active recruitments or an online portfolio) including a link to the materials in lieu of reproducing the actual materials within the proposal is acceptable.
6. References from three municipal clients, with contact information, for work performed on previous recruitments for comparable positions.
IV. SUBMITTAL INSTRUCTIONS, DEADLINE, AMENDMENTS
Sealed proposals, clearly marked “Town Manager Recruitment Consulting Services” and addressed to Judy Hawley, Assistant Town Manager, Town of Freeport, 30 Main St. Freeport, ME 04032 will be accepted until 1:00p.m. on Thursday April 06, 2023.
Proposals shall remain open to acceptance for sixty (60) days from their opening.
Questions must be submitted in writing and be received no later than five business days prior to the RFP due date, which is Thursday, April 06, 2023 at 1:00pm. These may be e-mailed to email@example.com or faxed to 207-865-0929 Attn: Judy Hawley. All changes or amendments will be in writing and posted to the Town’s website at www.freeportmaine.com/employment-rfps.
Faxed or e-mailed proposals will not be accepted.
The Town of Freeport reserves the right to reject any or all submissions, to waive technical or legal deficiencies, to proceed or not with any proposal or process, negotiate such terms and conditions of any proposal, agreement, lease or other contract that may be in the best interest of the Town, and to terminate or amend this process at any time.
The Town of Freeport is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse community. All qualified consultants/firms are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation (including gender identity and expression), physical or mental disability, religion, age, genetic predisposition, or any other class protected by law.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds