The Town of Windham is seeking a part-time Circulation Assistant. Windham is a vibrant, growing community of 18,000+ located 10 miles northwest of Portland. It is the gateway to the Sebago Lakes Region, with a unique mixture of recreational areas, shopping, dining, and services. The Windham Public Library is community-focused organization with an amazing staff. The library regularly participates in community events such as SummerFest, Farmer’s Markets, and the Windham Primary School Fall Festival. We currently have a Part Time position open in our Circulation Department.
If you are interested in library work and want to try a little bit of almost everything a bustling public library has to offer, apply for our part-time Circulation Assistant Position (20 hours a week). This position is the face of the library and welcomes all our patrons as they enter. In addition to checking in and out materials, Circulation staff members oversee our Minerva interlibrary loan deliveries, create displays in the Circulation area, work with our donated items, and assist patrons with account issues and other questions.
The starting wage for this position is $16.18/hr-$17.68/hr. Must be available some evenings and Saturdays.
- Staffs customer service desk; checks in and out library materials; inputs and updates patron information, as needed; assists patrons with their accounts.
- Verifies, sorts, and shelves materials from the returns desk, book drops, sorters, room use, and acquisitions.
- Reads shelves to maintain proper order; shifts and straightens collections as space or displays require.
- Prepares outgoing items for Interlibrary delivery and processes incoming items from other libraries.
- Prints reports and retrieves materials to fill hold requests.
- Answers the phone and transfers calls to appropriate staff members.
- Assists patrons with self-service resources including library catalog, public computers, and copier use.
- Answers general information inquiries regarding library events and services.
- Assists with opening and closing routines.
- Participates in providing a safe and welcoming environment at the library.
- Performs other work as may be required in support of the library.
- Knowledge of books, viewing and listening materials in order to assist readers. Experience with NoveList database desired.
- Computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office programs, databases, the Internet and specialized library and catalog software programs.
- Graduate from an accredited college or university;
- One to three years’ of experience in a library setting; with knowledge of Sierra software and experience with the MINERVA Consortium desired; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Moderate physical effort required; normally seated or standing with freedom of movement on a regular basis; operating office equipment, and handling books and supplies. Extensive periods may be spent standing or operating a computer and using hands and wrists in frequent repetitive motions. Interaction with others via face-to-face communication, telephone, email, and written correspondence; flexibility of motion – repetitive sitting and standing assisting staff and citizens; ability to lift 25 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Apply today at
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds