Department: District Attorney Job Title: Victim/Witness Advocate
Classification: Non-Exempt/Non-Union Office Hours: 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Starting Salary: $22.00 per hour
Total Hours: Full-Time Position 40 hrs.
The Victim/Witness Advocate takes direction from the Assistant District Attorneys. The Victim/Witness Advocate assists victims and witnesses through the court system.
- Be committed to the mission of the County.
- Work as a member of a team in the performance of duties.
- Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
- Work in harmonious relationships with all County staff and community.
- Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
- Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Understand and work within Somerset County Policies and Procedures.
- Work collaboratively as a member of a team with various groups of staff depending on the issue addressed.
- To accept shared responsibility with other team members to successfully accomplish the goal of each team of which he or she is a member.
- To assure quality in work performed in order to facilitate the delivery of quality services.
- Maintain confidence and protect County by keeping information concerning clients and County operations confidential.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the District Attorney’s Office by receiving, reviewing and when relevant, assigning DHHS referrals for criminal investigation, and maintaining files by entering data regarding DHHS referrals and Victim Advocate memorandums into computer and keeping information in the files updated.
- Assists victims and witnesses by contacting and keeping victims, witnesses and families informed and involved in the Court process and the status of their cases.
- Assists victims and witnesses by scheduling appointments for pre-trial conferences, accompanying victims and witnesses to pre-trial conferences and court appearances in District and Superior Courts, and serving as a liaison between Law Enforcement, District Attorney’s Office, service provider agencies, and victims of crimes.
- Assists victims by referring them to other service providers.
- Assists victims and families by explaining the criminal justice process and prosecution procedures, attending court proceedings, arranging transportation for victims if needed, providing victims with case updates, and providing follow-up contact with victim.
- Assists victims and families by preparing and submitting Victim Impact Statements to the court, providing information on rights, resources and services and in filing for restitution and serving as a liaison between victims and the court system.
- Assists the District Attorney’s Office by providing training as necessary regarding the role of the Victim Advocate in the criminal justice system.
- Assists police officers in interviewing child abuse and sexual assault victims.
- Assists in preparing subpoenas for witnesses when necessary.
- Contacts victims to obtain information on damages to property and medical bills for restitution purposes.
- Responsible for keeping track of domestic violence case status.
- Assists the District Attorney/Assistant District Attorney in all aspects of preparing cases for trial.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, attending Children’s Advocacy Center interviews and Advisory Board meetings and reporting back to the District Attorney.
- Member of the Somerset County Domestic Violence Task Force.
- Member Victim/Witness Advocates Association for State of Maine.
- Supports the County’s safety and health policies by attending required safety training programs, reporting all accidents and suspected safety hazards to supervisor.
- Responsible for all other duties assigned by the District Attorney, his/her designee, and/or the Office Administrator.
Requirements and Skills Needed for Position:
Ability and personality that relates well to people and is able to deal effectively and pleasantly with a diverse public
Goal oriented, self-starter, ambitious
High degree of independence and skill at working well independently
Ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment while maintaining composure and decorum
Good organization and time management skills
High School diploma
Proficient in use of computer programs and case management systems
Thorough understanding of court procedures and the Criminal Justice System
Prior advocacy, legal, law enforcement or social services experience preferred
Knowledge of the Criminal Justice System
Working Conditions and Job Hazards:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform some of the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to sit at a desk for long periods of time, talk on the telephone, hear, and use hands to finger a standard computer keyboard, occasionally stand and walk, and stand on a stepstool to file on 7 tier vertical file shelves.
The employee must be able to lift and/or move boxes of files weighing approximately 30 lbs., and carry them into and out of the courtroom, including the Court across the street.
The employee must be able to drive a motor vehicle in order to transport victims and witnesses when necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please visit Somerset County website at https://www.somersetcounty-me.org/jobs.html to complete an online application.
Resumes will NOT be considered without being accompanied by a Completed Application.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds