SYSTEM SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
DESCRIPTION: This is advanced Information Technology work involving the analysis, design, development, and implementation of diverse enterprise-wide infrastructure. These include system security, firewalls, networks, VoIP, audio/visual systems, server management and workstation management. Responsibilities include researching and analyzing business needs, formulating and defining system scope and objectives, and designing systems and/or enhancements to existing systems which meet business needs and objectives. Employees will be competent to work at high technical level in all phases of network, systems analysis and design activities. The most important aspects of this work are the application of system security skills to formulate solutions to complex business problems through the use of automation technology and preparing system and security design plans and detailed specifications to facilitate the development and implementation of secure systems. Work is performed under limited supervision.
- Web security and Internet based systems maintenance
- Prepares documents of understanding, automation system design plans, and detailed specifications in order to identify system design requirements including cost and time estimates for subsequent phases and facilitate the development and implementation of automation systems.
- Implements enterprise-wide systems and security in order to place system in operational status.
- Maintains assigned systems including developing estimates, prioritizing and scheduling resources, updating documentation, and applying control techniques in order to keep systems operational.
- Participates in reviews, feasibility reports, functional requirements, system design, program specifications, coding, test plans and results, and documentation packages in order to minimize system problems and assure quality control.
- Manages assigned projects, design systems, development, and maintenance activities in all aspects in order to provide project oversight, support, and team coordination.
- Performs special projects as assigned in order to respond to special needs or develop procedures and standards to control system development process.
- Analyze infrastructure, network security and network trouble shooting data.
- Maintain Cisco switches and network gear.
- Install and Maintain servers per application and business requirements.
- Install and maintain camera (audio/visual) systems.
- Install and maintain Mobile Device Terminals (MDT’s)
- Update and recommend system improvements.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of all phases of the project development cycle.
- Knowledge of basic machine and high-level programming languages.
- Knowledge of systems analysis and design techniques.
- Knowledge of documentation needs and techniques.
- Knowledge of computerized file organization and access techniques.
- Knowledge of productivity tools, computerized problem-solving tools, and other work management techniques.
- Knowledge of governmental and business systems.
- Knowledge of remote computing technologies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to research and evaluate the suitability of software and hardware products.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain technical standards.
Proficiency in Network Engineering or Server Management. In either case, this individual will demonstrate abilities in system security, systems analysis and design, and system maintenance.
Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Office and Cisco equipment and software.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Business Casual environment, ability to lift 50 pounds, some travel may be required. Rotating on-call shift coverage for 24/7 work environments. Willingness to work in a corrections & law enforcement environment. Must pass background check and drug screening.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please visit Somerset County website at https://www.somersetcounty-me.org/jobs.html to complete an online application.
Resumes will NOT be considered without being accompanied by a Completed Application.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds