City of Westbrook Job Posting: Deputy Finance Director
The City of Westbrook was a traditiional mill city that has grown and diversified significantly over the last two decades to become a residential hub and business center for the region. Westbrook has a population of over 20,000 and covers 17.36 square miles. Westbrook is centrally located to both urban and rural amenities. Currently, the City employs approximately 195 full-time and 80 variable hour employees covered by five different Collective Bargaining Agreements. The departments contained within the City are the Mayor’s Office, Economic Development, City Clerk, Finance, Human Resources, Planning, Code Enforcement, & Assessing, Public Services, Community Services, General Assistance, Library, Police, Fire & Rescue, and Dispatch.
The Finance department is responsible for accounting, city budget and financial reporting, discharges, motor and recreational vehicle registrations, tax payments, hunting/fishing licenses, and sewer and tax liens. The Finance department is staffed with nine full-time employees.
This is a highly responsible position related to the financial operations of the City of Westbrook. This work involves regular access and exposure to information of a sensitive and confidential nature requiring the exercise of considerable judgment and independence. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Finance. The Deputy Finance Director supervises the Accounts Payable Specialist.
The City of Westbrook is deeply committed to prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion, especially in our hiring process. We value a diverse workforce and workplace and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBT+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
- Supports Accounts Payable Specialist and Payroll Administrator as needed with processing of payroll and accounts payable.
- Review payroll and accounts payable warrant for accuracy and completeness prior to presenting it to the Director of Finance for approval.
- Reconcile all payroll accruals, including all complex benefits bills, such as health and dental bills. Review to ensure accounting software is expending the employer amounts and accruing the employee amounts correctly and completely.
- Reconcile and prepare quarterly payroll reports for federal and state revenue agencies for the City of Westbrook.
- Work with the Payroll Administrator to ensure payroll tables are complete and accurate; ensure employer expenses are charged accurately and that they will not exceed budget.
- Review accrued payroll calculation at year end, provide backup to auditors as requested.
- Review compensated absences payable calculation, provide backup to auditors as requested.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts monthly for all major funds and quarterly for all non-major funds.
- Reconcile all bank statements as they are received for the City of Westbrook.
- Work with external auditors to post audit adjustments and ensure that the City of Westbrook’s financial statements reflect the most recent audit.
- Keep record of all inter-fund transactions.
- Keep record and backup of all journal entry transactions; prepare and notify Director of Finance when they are available for review.
- Review all accounts receivable and ensure all receipts are posted against the receivable, if necessary – coordinate with various departments as needed.
- Review cash deposits and ensure revenue accounts are correct.
- Review budget to actual reports for the City of Westbrook and identify accounts with insufficient budget amounts.
- Attend weekly department meetings to update coworkers on upcoming deadlines and tasks.
- Maintain revolving loan amortization schedules and work with Accounts Payable Specialist on invoicing and accounting for loan payments.
- Assist Director of Finance in preparation for annual audit.
- Assist Director of Finance in preparation for annual budget.
- Assist administrative staff at City departments with Finance and Munis related questions.
- Maintain record of capital assets throughout the fiscal year; account for additions, disposals, and depreciation.
- Maintain records of grants for all departments within the City.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required. Master’s Degree in an Accounting or Finance field is preferred.
- A minimum combination of five (5) years of municipal finance or related experience, including a minimum of three (3) years of experience in bookkeeping or accounting.
- Tax collection experience is preferred.
- Advanced training or certification in accounting is desirable.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be acceptable.
- Solid knowledge of payroll operations, regulations, and methods with the ability to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of employee payroll operations and overview.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a solid ability to effectively interact with and provide information to employees, members of the public, management, elected officials, outside vendors, and local, state, and federal officials/agencies.
- Excellent customer service, telephone, and interpersonal skills with the ability to deliver exceptional service and resolve customer/taxpayer/vendor disputes in a calm, respectful and positive manner.
- Solid knowledge of cash management, including ability to calculate cash basis from full and modified basis.
- Ability to reconcile balance sheet accounts including understanding and using due to/due from accounts.
- Understanding of special activity funds with the ability to reconcile revenues and expenditures.
- Thorough understanding of encumbrance accounting.
- Thorough understanding of inter-fund accounting.
- Thorough understanding of revenue and expense recognition in accordance with GASB and GAAP.
- Highly proficient in basic accounting functions with a thorough knowledge of revenue and expense accounts.
- Self-motivated with solid organizational skills and ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize daily workload, and successfully manage and train on higher-level Finance responsibilities with little to no supervision or direction.
- Must be able to effectively work in a team-oriented environment and maintain a positive and professional demeanor under deadline pressures in a fast paced and ever-changing environment.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in the following computer software/applications: Munis, ADS, and Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access.
- Able to troubleshoot technology issues and identify needs of IT professionals surrounding the accounting software and how it relates to the City’s tax needs.
- Must show willingness and ability to learn new software applications as needed.
- Ability to work cooperatively with a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers verbally and in writing.
- Ability to successfully complete any required training.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary range of $80,113.04 - $95,808.52/year.
- A comprehensive benefits package includes medical (PPO plan at 12% premium cost, plus HRA reimbursement), dental, vision, life insurance (one times base salary), short and long-term disability, and employee assistance program
- Generous paid leave including vacation, sick, and 13 holiday per year.
- Tuition reimbursement at 75% for job-related courses.
- Retirement program of the Maine Public Employees Retirement Plan (Maine PERS) or defined 457 with matching up to 6%.
- Whether you have found us through our jobs page, Indeed, the Maine Municipal Association (MMA), Facebook, or other platforms, you can apply online, via email, or in-person. Be sure to include all necessary information, including the position applied for, salary requirement, experience, education, qualifications, and certifications.
- Online application
- Interested applicants should send their resume and letter of interest to the Human Resources Department at HR@westbrook.me.us.
- In-Person Applications at 2 York Street, Westbrook, ME
The City of Westbrook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, and or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Applicants selected as a finalist for this position will be subject to a comprehensive reference and background check.
Applications Accepted until June 6, 2023
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds