Nature of Work: Hired by Fire Chief, Appointed by Town manager.
This is varied highly skilled work as a motivated firefighter and emergency medical service provider for the Town of Belgrade. This per-diem position encompasses skilled firefighting and EMS work in a customer service oriented environment consisting of combating, extinguishing, and preventing fires as well as providing medical aid. It involves responding to a wide range of fire suppression and medical emergencies within the community. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Belgrade Fire Chief’s and Rescue Chief and officers in charge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in duties encompassing protecting life and property
- Requires the performance of hazardous tasks under emergency conditions
- During his/her regular work week, manages all aspects of the emergency scene, including fire suppression, EMS medical care, and hazardous materials awareness procedures; unless relieved by the Fire Chief or other officer in charge
- Responds to all EMS, Rescue, Fire, and general service calls
- Maintains Maine EMS licensure as required by Maine EMS
- Performs all EMS mandatory on-line reporting
- Participates in public relations events as they occur i.e. fire prevention, public education, tours of fire stations EMS coverage for events etc.
- Responds to all mutual aid calls as directed/ needed. Depending on circumstances may remain in Belgrade covering the town during mutual aid calls
- Must meet all yearly training requirements of Belgrade Fire & Rescue department
- Performs all duties as directed by Chiefs of department
- Does monthly station/truck checks including general equipment checks, upkeep and maintenance and documents this as required on appropriate forms.
- Participates in weekly checks of S.C.B.A. located on Rescue-6
- Participates in weekly checks of out of drug box & out of drug box log on Rescue-6
- Performs other station duties as required such as shoveling snow, turn out gear washing, general housekeeping etc.
- Any other assignments as directed by Chiefs of the department or officers in charge.
Requirements of Work:
- Thorough knowledge and experience in firefighting and rescue equipment, methods & techniques, hydraulics, and fire prevention methods.
- Thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations of the departments SOP’s, and the fire prevention codes and ordinances.
- Thorough knowledge of the street systems and geography of the town
- Thorough knowledge of the water supply and dry hydrant locations of the town
- Ability to effectively direct, with good judgement, the operation and activities of personnel and equipment under emergency conditions
- Ability to work with, and maintain good working relationships with other Town officials, with members of the department, with State & Federal authorities, and with the public
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to use sound judgement with all matters involving patient and responder safety
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult and emotionally challenging situations
Training and Experience Required:
- At least 21 years of age
- High school diploma
- Valid clean Maine Driver’s license with no criminal violations
- Class B license or EVOC certification
- NFPA Firefighter 1 certification (Firefighter 1&2 preferred)
- Current state of Maine EMS license (Paramedic/ Advanced EMT preferred)
- Must pass background check
- Successfully pass physical and S.C.B.A/ N-95 fit test as required yearly
- Must be cleared to drive fire/rescue apparatus
- Must have all BLS required training.
Per-diem schedule is based on 10-hour days, Hours may vary due to emergency calls. Regular working hours are 7 A.M. to 5 P.M. If adjustments need to be made to these hours a chief of the department needs to be notified. If employee is a member of Belgrade Fire/ Rescue and responds to calls during off duty time that employee will receive call Fire Department rate of pay & not his/ her town of Belgrade per-diem employee rate of pay. Should you be unable to work a shift you are scheduled for you must immediately notify a chief or other officer in charge. You are strongly urged to do this with at least 24 hours’ notice if possible.
Scheduling is all done through whentowork.com. Shifts can be requested and or availability given at any time. Shifts may be approved one month in advance. All shift requests & or availability should be turned in before then. For example, shifts for the month of March should be requested before the end of January.
Benefits will follow “Town of Belgrade/Employment Guidelines” for permanent part time employees. Pay will follow the pay rate scale as outlined in the employment guidelines handbook.
Applications are available online at www.townofbelgrade.com or at the Belgrade Town Office, 990 Augusta Road, Belgrade, Maine 04917. Applications will be accepted at the Town Office or can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
<< Return to Job Bank & Classifieds