Location: Union Town Hall, 567 Common Rd., Union, ME 04862
Time: Registration: 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. | Workshop: 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Cost: MMA Member Municipality/Patron: $75 | Non-Member Municipality: $150
Presenters: James Bennett, City Manager, Biddeford; John Eldridge, Town Manager, Brunswick
Who Should Attend:
This course is designed for municipal officials with primary responsibility for budget preparation and management. Others that are involved with the process, including budget review will also get some benefit from the class.
- A quick overview of the program and a look at various roles and responsibilities in the municipal budgeting process.
9:15 Preparing a Basic Budget
- This session will put financial information into a basic budget format. The discussion will include gross vs. net budgeting, appropriate line items, explanation of revenues and expenditures. The discussion will conclude by transferring the basic budget into warrant articles for Town Meeting.
12:30 Budget Forecasts and Projections
- This session will look at how to prepare for the budgeting process by looking at how to track revenue and expenditures, and forecast financial trends which will affect your budget.
1:30 Presenting Your Budget
- A look at effective ways to present and explain the budget to municipal officials and citizens at Town Meeting.
2:30 Budget Controls
- After your budget is prepared, a look at various ways to keep track of expenditures and revenues throughout the year and monitor problem areas.
3:00 Question and Answer Period
This course applies to the Maine Town, City and County Management Association Certification Program as 5.75 credits in the Finance/Budget category.
Questions about setting up your MMA eBusiness account? Click here